Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

No contact from seller on a collection only item

(13 Posts)
JulietBravoJuliet Tue 11-Feb-14 13:59:34

I won an auction for a computer on Sunday, messaged immediately asking whether they would prefer cash on collection or paypal and when is convenient to collect. Heard nothing, so I messaged the same again, and also sent a text to the phone number in the listing. No response from that either. I've now sent 3 messages, 2 texts and tried to call but got no answer.

I'm concerned that I'll get an unpaid item strike so I'm tempted to send a paypal payment (was only £28, which, I feel, is less than the seller was hoping for, as it is a bloody good price for what it is!) and then I can open a dispute if they don't get in touch, and avoid getting an unpaid mark against me.

The only thing I'm concerned about if I send payment, is, as it's collection only, I can't prove I haven't received iykwim? There will be no postal receipt or tracking, so, potentially, seller could say I'd collected and I wouldn't have a leg to stand on!

WWYD?

JulietBravoJuliet Tue 11-Feb-14 14:06:46

Just sent this email:

Hi

I'm getting slightly concerned as I've had no response to the previous messages I've sent trying to arrange payment and collection of the item that I won on Sunday. I do not want to end up with an unpaid item strike against me for something that I'm desperately trying to pay for!

I'm a little concerned that maybe you have decided you don't want to sell the item after all, and if that's the case, would appreciate being told so a that we can cancel the sale and avoid getting eBay involved in resolving this, as I'm sure you don't want to have to go down that route any more than I do.

Many thanks

Does that sound ok?

LilyBlossom14 Tue 11-Feb-14 14:35:30

no - seller won't have a leg to stand on and you could claim not received and get your money back - cash is the best way for the seller.

instead of messaging why don't you phone them

accusing them of not wanting to sell is a bit pointless. And if you pay by paypal they can't file anything against you at all.

JulietBravoJuliet Tue 11-Feb-14 14:53:06

I've tried ringing and they're not answering.

The reason I said they appear not to want to sell is to give them the chance to cancel the sale if that is the case.

So do you think I should pay via paypal then?

LilyBlossom14 Tue 11-Feb-14 15:08:56

have they asked for cash?

PeterParkerSays Tue 11-Feb-14 15:11:20

As it's a collection only item, I wouldn't pay via paypal. It is only Tuesday - they may have been hit by a bus in yesterday's rush hour! I know that's a bit dramatic but it is possible that life has intervened and they haven't been able to get back to eBay yet.

I'd give them until Sunday and chase again then.

JulietBravoJuliet Tue 11-Feb-14 15:22:36

They haven't asked for anything as they are not responding to my messages! They replied very quickly when I was asking questions before the auction ended and now nothing, yet they've managed to list several more items for sale over the last 2 days, so they seem to be alive and kicking!

I just don't want to leave it so long that I risk getting an unpaid item strike against me that's all. Couldn't actually give a monkeys whether I get the item as I can always bid on another, but would just prefer to be kept in the loop.

LilyBlossom14 Tue 11-Feb-14 15:32:53

they have to file to have a strike against you, and that gives you another 4 days to pay - and 1 unpaid strike will not effect your account

a sensible seller will never take paypal for a collected item - only cash.

JulietBravoJuliet Tue 11-Feb-14 16:37:09

Right so they would actually have to report me as not paying? It's not an automatic thing after so long? I've managed to buy and sell on eBay for years and have never come across this before!

LilyBlossom14 Tue 11-Feb-14 17:27:14

yes they would - it isn't automatic

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 11-Feb-14 18:32:50

Yes, as LilyBlossom is saying. They would not be able to get a non-paying bidder claim against you as, once they started the NPB process with eBay, eBay would send you a message asking you to pay before taking it any further.

You would then just pay via PayPal & the Seller would not have a leg to stand on.

The Seller is still obliged to sell the item to you at the price stated though, that is how auctions work & it was his own daft fault to not put a reserve price on the listing if he wasn't prepared to let it go for so little. He was probably trying to wangle a cheap listing - but the chance you take with that is that you may well end up having to let an item go for peanuts.

pootlebug Tue 11-Feb-14 18:37:38

I know a few people who have had non-communication from sellers re collection only items where they haven't sold it for as much as they were hoping.....in the hope that you go away and leave them alone and they can relist it several months down the line, I guess. I'd give them a few days then send the paypal if I were you.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 11-Feb-14 18:38:53

Also, your e-mail was a little too polite IMHO grin (and I am an eBay Business Seller, so not one of the 'something for nothing brigade').

Firstly, I would pay via PayPal and then I would have gone more along the lines of "I am sorry, but if you do not contact me within 48 hours to arrange collection, I will have no choice but to start an item not received case, as I am in urgent need of the computer I have purchased".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now