Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

New to Ebay selling, possible buyer wants to arrange a courier.

(8 Posts)
SchroSawMargeryDaw Mon 10-Feb-14 20:52:05

What should I do? Would I still be protected if they arranged the courier? It's a pretty expensive item £450 BIN price.

I've checked their feedback and they have 100% positive, one even mentions the person setting up the courier. I'm still very nervous though...

LilyBlossom14 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:29:31

no you do not ever, far too risky especially for item of that high value - cash on collection only or you arrange a courier yourself. You have the tracking then, and you have the contract with them if item is damaged and you need to make a claim.

never ever let them arrange their own courier or collect and pay by paypal.

Feartheescalator Mon 10-Feb-14 21:36:09

What Lily said plus it is a pain to have to wait at home all day for the courier to turn up. I always specify collection in person, no couriers

AandAmom Mon 10-Feb-14 21:43:13

My daughter had similar situation re buyer wanting to organise courier, she then said she would add cost of courier onto paypal payment made yo daughter, her story was she worked on cruise liners and would have courier collect item and deliver it to docks. My daughter checked a few scam sites and it seems this scam has been well used, the courier turns up at your door, the buyer pays through pay pal, you pay courier and once they leave the courier cancels transaction as pay pal take up to 24 hours to take funds. You have then lost item your selling and paid someone to take it away ! Seller beware.

LilyBlossom14 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:46:45

buyer can claim not received up to 30 days after payment and you will have no tracking to give, plus they can claim damaged, get a refund and you can't claim from courier for damage, and you will have a broken item and no recourse with courier as you don't have a contract with them. It is a potential minefield so you must never ever do it. Same with accepting paypal for collected items.

Is it a high risk item? - mobile, ipad, laptop? You may want to security mark/make a note of imei/serial numbers.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 11-Feb-14 10:02:40

Okay, I told him no and he's asked if I will arrange a courier, he's asked me to use Wiseloads.

It's a double pram, he wants me to send to Co, Cork... Where would I get a box big enough? confused There's Chassis, 2 seats, carry it and a car seat!

LilyBlossom14 Tue 11-Feb-14 10:05:59

if you don't want to then say no not possible - it is up to you

just make sure you only take cash when collected

SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 11-Feb-14 12:48:45

I put Parcelforce as an optionn but obviously wasn't thinking straight and editing is really hard!

Thanks for all the information.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now