Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Postage refund?

(27 Posts)
schilke Thu 06-Feb-14 12:34:55

To cut a long story short....seller is dropping item at my mum's house. He initially, before buying, said I could collect. I bought item - weirdly price had dropped £10 to £70 - and asked for total. He then said he didn't want people coming to house, he wanted to post. Postage is £12.50. Then he agreed to drop it at my mum's house...no mention of a postage refund though.

What do I do? I have paid £82.50 including postage. Original price was going to be £80 with me collecting, but then he dropped to £70 and said I couldn't collect. Following this?? He can't charge me £12.50 for driving a couple of minutes up the road and dropping it at my mum's house can he? If he does I feel like saying ok post it then.

LilyBlossom14 Thu 06-Feb-14 14:47:17

and you have paid paypal not cash? Just refuse the item and get a refund is what I would do. He is silly accepting paypal with no proof of delivery. He can ask for any amount he wants, but you don't have to pay it and he is wrong to change the goalposts and ask for extra money after auction has ended.

You can of course get a refund and leave appropriate feedback and stars. But I wouldn't want a seller delivering to another address - you can't check the item, and if you file not as described you have to return tracked for a refund.

Can you buy elsewhere?

lljkk Thu 06-Feb-14 14:51:15

What exactly have you paid OP, and how?
Not OP's problem if seller wants payment by Paypal.

LilyBlossom14 Thu 06-Feb-14 14:57:39

it is if she needs to return for a refund.

schilke Thu 06-Feb-14 15:07:35

I paid £82.50 - £70 for item & £12.50 postage via paypal.

Originally item was £80 (+£12.50 postage) - email conversation about item and he said I could collect. Couple of hours later I went to buy it now and price had dropped to £70 (+12.50 postage). I bought it, but before I paid, I emailed to ask him to remove postage. He then said he didn't want me to collect it and he wanted to post item - I was a bit annoyed, but paid for item and postage via paypal.

I emailed telling him I'd paid for item and postage and that I had wanted to collect, as we had agreed earlier, as it was easier. He emailed saying he could drop item at my mum's house (I don't live in the town, my mum was going to do collecting of item), so I said ok. I have asked for a refund on the postage, but haven't heard back.

For some reason I feel uneasy about it all! I have no idea why he changed the buy it now price from £80 to £70.

I could buy elsewhere, but how do I get my money back from him?

LilyBlossom14 Thu 06-Feb-14 15:11:08

you log into paypal now and file not received and they will refund you - you need to escalate it the next day, and will get your money back in about a week.

schilke Thu 06-Feb-14 15:26:43

Ok he's replied saying....No cus I dropped the price down to 70 quid so with the postage u got it for 80 quid what u would have paid in first place so I think it's only fair u pay the price for the postage as u got it 13 pound cheaper anyway

schilke Thu 06-Feb-14 15:29:34

I know what he's saying, but actually I've paid £2.50 more - I was going to collect for £80 and now I'm collecting for £82.50. I don't understand why he dropped the price??

LilyBlossom14 Thu 06-Feb-14 15:43:50

he is trying to avoid ebay fees probably - doesn't realise you get charged final fees on the p&p now/

schilke Thu 06-Feb-14 15:52:52

I've now got an email saying...did u get ur refund ok? I'm so confused!!! No refund come in to my paypal account yet.

LilyBlossom14 Thu 06-Feb-14 15:55:29

you will get an email saying you got a refund - he needs to log into his paypal account, click on your payment, scroll down and then hit refund. I hope he hasn't sent it as a payment - if he has done that you will need to refund it and ask for a refund by the correct channel.

Tryharder Thu 06-Feb-14 16:16:59

No brainer.

If you have paid postage, ask him to post. Say you do not want the item dropped off at someone's house if you have to pay for it.

Tryharder Thu 06-Feb-14 16:18:34

Ok, just seen he has reduced cost of item for you which presumably he has done in lieu of changing the postage charges.

That would make sense.

I wouldn't worry in that case.

schilke Thu 06-Feb-14 16:26:56

I had no idea he had reduced the price until I paid. I just wish I'd never bid on the damn thing. I don't know why he thinks I've saved £13, when I've actually paid £2.50 unless he thought I was going to pay £92.50 originally.

LilyBlossom14 Thu 06-Feb-14 16:35:06

have you opened a case with paypal - if not, do it now.

Sellers used to not pay fvf on p&p but now they do - he probably doesn't know this and is trying to increase his profit margins.

lljkk Thu 06-Feb-14 18:33:58

I think he has done you a fair deal, OP. Morally you only could dispute £2.50 and even that is tenuous.
Whether he thinks he pays FVF on postage is not relevant.
He's right to think he's already knocked £10 off the price for you at your request and that you accepted that deal.

From Ebay's POV all the power is with you & you can not pay or renege paying give him horrible F/back. Seller can't touch you.

schilke Thu 06-Feb-14 19:57:47

I really don't care about the money - although I did hit buy quicker as I thought I was getting it for £70. The thing is someone else could have come along and bought it at the £70 price - a good few hours between him reducing it and me buying it. Am just mightily confused by him.

Please can someone explain why he reduced it? And I still don't understand how he thinks I've saved £13!! Did he think I was going to pay £92.50 to collect it from him originally? Also, when I first paid he said he wanted to post it. It was only when dropping it off was suggested that he changed his mind to that...so I've saved him money.

LilyBlossom14 Thu 06-Feb-14 20:03:32

I don't know why he reduced it - only he will know that.

Have you got your refund yet?

schilke Thu 06-Feb-14 20:06:57

No refund. I really don't mind the £2.50 - I have just found the whole thing puzzling. My mum is worried about taking the item on Saturday, but I'm sure it will be fine. Fingers crossed it is all in order.

Next time I'll ignore dh and buy preowned from a shop rather than ebay!

LilyBlossom14 Thu 06-Feb-14 20:33:19

if you want to cancel the sale ask for a refund and buy elsewhere - if the item is faulty or no good you won't get a refund unless you have online proof of return (ie courier) - so unless you are there to receive the item yourself I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Especially as seller is now proving so elusive. I wouldn't pay £12.50 for them to deliver something they said I could collect either - greed much?

MirandaWest Thu 06-Feb-14 20:39:26

I saw your earlier thread on this - with a games console I would want to check it is working properly and wouldn't feel happy about it being delivered somewhere else. I'd get it refunded and buy from game as you were thinking if doing in the first place.

schilke Fri 07-Feb-14 07:31:51

The email for postage refund was meant for someone else. He said someone else had bought it at the same time?? Not sure how you do that. I have said if someone else wants it, then they are welcome. I also told him that a warranty is not transferable - it is with the person not the item, as far as I can gather. That us my fault - I should have found it out.

LilyBlossom14 Fri 07-Feb-14 08:43:59

This is all very dodgy - just get your refund and buy somewhere reputable - have you opened a paypal claim yet?

I don't understand why you aren't listening??

schilke Fri 07-Feb-14 09:35:13

OK. I have finally got some sense. He has got emails muddled up. Someone else bought it, paid and then didn't want it. He refunded them, put it back on at a lower price for me, so I could pay with paypal (didn't tell me that). I saw it and thought bargain it's now £70. When I emailed saying it's in my basket, can you take the postage costs off as I want to collect - he didn't realise it was me and replied postage only.

If he had explained all this it would have made sense. At the very beginning of this saga, when I expressed an interest, he had said he wanted paypal payment only and originally that it was postage only.

I am listening, but from a neutral point of view (provided by my dh), I can't see that he has done anything wrong apart from not explain the price reduction (could he not have put it back at £80 with collect only rather than lowering and adding postage) - he has left my feedback and I am getting the item tomorrow. He has 100% feedback on nearly 600 transactions over 5 years so I'm thinking it is just a case of crossed emails and misunderstandings and me struggling to understand his text speak messages.

Of course if it's all a disaster tomorrow you can say I told you so! I shall only venture near ebay for cake toppers and ribbons - those are my usual purchases, not bigger items.

LilyBlossom14 Fri 07-Feb-14 09:42:39

And you are still paying £12 for him to deliver?? I am astounded. And you cannot check the item while he is there, and you paid by paypal.

He has done everything wrong - your dh is wrong and I fear you are going to lose all of your money, or have great costs to send it back for a refund.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now