Cn anyone help please? I had a number of items I listed to sell, all ending last Monday as I'm going on holiday tomorrow so wanted to make sure everything was posted off before I went....
Well I have had one person who hasn't paid yet.... I have sent invoice, then yesterday sent an ultra polite email requesting payment and explaining if I didn't post today then they would have to wait until my return from holiday....nothing....today sent the invoice again.
The post office is now closed and I fly out tomorrow at 6am. And still heard nothing.
i have never had a non-payer before but a little reading shows I have to open a dispute case thing. But I have something like 32 days or summat to do this.
My question is (I got there in the end should I open a dispute now or wait until I'm back in 10 days? If they pay and I don't send cos I'm not here - they could open a dispute/leave neg feedback? But if I open a dispute and then ignore any corespondence (because I'm away) wont that be worse??
I'm so fed up, I purposely did my auctions this way so I wouldn't have to think abot ebay or any contact whilst away.....
Can I hijack this thread please, as have similar dilemma....non-payer, it's now been 10 days and of 15 feedbacks she has 5 which are positive but with negative comments about being a timewaster.....have opened claim but would like to relist.. if I close claim and then relist, she won't be able to suddenly decide she wants the stuff will she?