Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer collecting tonight, whats the etiquette?

(15 Posts)
notso Thu 16-May-13 11:26:14

Have only ever posted things out or had DH deliver them before.
Feel in a flap, I'm rubbish at talking to strangers.
Do I offer a demonstration? It's a pram so might be useful.
Should I offer a drink and small talk?

PurpleFrog Thu 16-May-13 11:40:57

I would give a demonstration, give them a chance to look it over and check it is in the condition they expect. I assume you are accepting cash on collection, so remember to get that!

A drink and small talk is not necessary.

MarjorieAntrobus Thu 16-May-13 11:55:12

Drink and small talk are not necessary.

The buyer just wants to see that they are getting what they have paid for.

It would be fine to talk to the buyer in your garage, on your drive, or in your hall. It's a business deal. Hand over the things you are selling them. They'll ask if they want more explanation.

SavoyCabbage Thu 16-May-13 11:57:27

I've met some lovely people selling on eBay.

WeAreEternal Thu 16-May-13 12:01:49

Invite them in show them to the pram,
allow them to inspect it,
ask if they want you to demonstrate folding/changing the seat/etc,
Ask if they are happy with it,
Ask for the money (if they haven't yet offered it)
Excuse yourself to another room and count it (its always a good idea to count it but I feel rude doing it in front of people)
Ask if they need a hand to their car,
Thank them for coming and show them out.

It's pretty quick and easy really.

fergoose Thu 16-May-13 12:13:42

please don't take paypal - cash only.

notso Thu 16-May-13 12:55:23

Right, thanks all.
I get all flustered about this kind of thing. I am a bit of a loner at the moment.

She's definitely paying cash so that's good, and I will have a practice unfolding/folding etc as haven't used the pram for ages. I don't want her to think it's really difficult!

fergoose Thu 16-May-13 13:53:07

and don't let them haggle over the price - the amount they bid is what they have to pay, if they offer less just say no.

notso Thu 16-May-13 13:56:48

Oh hope she doesn't do that fergoose

Also is it bad form to give her the 17p change in 1's and 2's assuming she gives me the money in whole pounds?

fergoose Thu 16-May-13 14:46:55

no - that is fine, am sure they won't worry about the change though.

notso Thu 16-May-13 14:56:24

Well I wouldn't but you never know!

Flibbertyjibbet Thu 16-May-13 15:07:41

I prefer not to do collection items on ebay but I've often collected things myself.

I prefer not to go into the house itself, I leave the children in the car on their drive/road right outside so I have a reason not to step further than their poorch.

I turn up, smile and say I've come for suchathing, they invite me in I say no thanks the kids are in the car, they get the thing, I pay and go.

When I am selling, I keep the thing near the door and just take the money from them and they go.

One man that I sold some Leappad games to a couple of years back called at teatime when I was alone with small children. I opened the door and he actually pushed past me to get in our house. Its a tiny cottage so he stepped into our front room. Then went on and on for ages about the leappad toys he was getting from ebay, asked if I had any more I might be listing. Noticed the 2 boys on the sofa and said his son was a bit younger and was I selling any other boys clothes or toys. Very stressful very intimidating.

If you have a drive or path I'd open the door and bring it out 'so they can see it in the daylight' or some other such excuse.

Me, paranoid????

TheCutOfYourJib Mon 27-May-13 09:28:27

Don't go in another room to count it, if its wrong how do they know you've not just removed £20?
I wouldn't trust someone who did that.

sarahtigh Mon 27-May-13 18:18:24

if you must count it; count it in front of them re post above,

you must give them chance to look at it properly and definitely practice folding it , it will look bad if it takes more than 10 seconds

ggirl Mon 27-May-13 18:19:26

3 course meal is the norm I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now