Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is it worth it?

(9 Posts)
Emilythornesbff Tue 14-May-13 11:36:14

And how the buggery bollocks do I start?

Please eBay pros, I need some guidance.
I have some beautiful things that I no longer need and would like to sell.
Can someone explain how I do this eBay thing?

Many thanks
Em

SNOWBall4girlz Tue 14-May-13 12:20:26

Basically I think good clear pictures. Start at a price that you dont mind it selling for.
End about 8 - 9pm at night. If you can wait for a free listing weekend it is free to list at any price.
Honest descriptions and I would wait for more experienced ebayers to come along and add what i have forgotten smile

sleepyhead Tue 14-May-13 12:25:16

Have a search for completed listings for items similar to yours to get a vague idea of how much you can expect to make. You may decide it's not worth the hassle for some things whereas others might surprise you.

Pictures are a must as is a good, clear description.

moodymary Tue 14-May-13 12:31:28

Work out postage charges as accurately as you can - too high and you will put buyers off, too low and you will be out of pocket

I always find that the items I expect to sell well, often don't get any bids at all, whereas other low value items listed for 99p often go of far more- it is completely random!

Selks Tue 14-May-13 12:36:58

Good, clear pictures. Garments look best on a hangar rather than laid flat. Do close up pics of any damage / wear / stains etc and mention in description.
Description - include: measurements as well as size, fabric type, fit, general description. Give plenty of info.
Use paypal only
Don't over charge for postage
Wash item (if clothing) before sending
Don't have the listing ending at an odd time. 8 - 9 pm is best.

fergoose Tue 14-May-13 13:27:28

cash on collection only, try MrHermes or Collect+ as a cheaper alternative to Royal Mail. Send anything of value with proof of delivery to prevent fraudulent buyers pretending not to receive.

Emilythornesbff Tue 14-May-13 15:42:28

Thank you. Some great tips.

fergose do you think "buyer collect" is better than using PayPal and post?

Also, do you think if I just log on and follow the instructions it will make sense? I know I sound like a bit of a thicky grin I'm really not, honest!

fergoose Tue 14-May-13 16:16:42

well buyer collect is normally offered for stuff which can't be posted or couriered, but the option for collection on items as well as postage will widen your audience.

It is v straightforward to list stuff - just a case of filling in a form.

Emilythornesbff Wed 15-May-13 08:14:54

OIC
Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now