Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

What's going on with the posting prices?

(6 Posts)
Elliptic5 Thu 09-May-13 11:46:40

I live equidistant from two post offices. Spent ages making my parcel into small package size - took it to one PO and they said it was a medium parcel without even checking the size, I queried this and they bought out a cutout thing which I could get it through, then they said it had to go through with room to spare. Lost my temper and stormed off.

Went to next PO, they tried it through different type of size thing and said 'yes, it's a small package', so I posted for £2.60 confused.
Guess which PO I'm using in future.

LazyMonkeyButler Thu 09-May-13 11:49:59

It's all down to interpretation of the "has to go through with room to spare" rule.

They are not making that rule up, it does say somewhere on the RoyalMail blurb (am pretty sure I've read it anyway) - however, one person's "room to spare" is another's "just squeezed through".

Just stick with the more optimistic Post Office in future grin.

GemmaTeller Fri 10-May-13 13:14:11

I got told it had to 'fall through with no help' (although my post office do squash the air out of parcels to help them!)

Elliptic5 Fri 10-May-13 13:25:51

So the size on the PO web site is inaccurate if it has to fall through the gauge hmm, as it obviously has to be smaller.

OH used to work in a PO and he tells me that each PO receives a different sum of money depending on its postage sales, so it would be in their interest to charge the highest postage rate they could get away with.

AnnaBegins Fri 10-May-13 13:43:36

Yep when I posted my wedding invitations one post office let them go as normal letters and another made the rest go as large letters,even though they fit the guide,as staff can overrule it with the 'room to spare' rule grrr. If royal mail don't mean what they say they should change the guide!

starsandunicorns Fri 10-May-13 18:56:46

I work for a large company in their post room my dp needed to send a birthday card he went to local post office the women said it needed to go as a large letter as it didnt fit the hole she was trying to put it through the widest length dp said turn it round and it will go through they said no!!!

i was fumming as i know the sizes as i work with them 8 hours a day. Daid from now on i send it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now