Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

BNWT - tags will be removed before posting

(9 Posts)
HappyAsEyeAm Tue 07-May-13 15:02:34

I am quite new to Ebay, but I was looking for some tops for DS, and I thought I might be lucky and find them on EBay. They are a recognised brand, and not cheap, and I was basically shopping around for the best price.

I wanted to buy brand new, so searched for BNWT, and a few came up. No postage charge, and a tiny bit cheaper than other online stores which I hadn't used before. The tag is visible in the photo. Feedback is good.

But in the description of the item, it says that all tags will be removed before purchase. Am I being cynical, or is this a way of maybe trying to pass off a top as being brand new, without it actually being brand new? Ie buying an item yourself, keeping the tag, wearing the item however many times, and then selling it as band new? Or is removing the tags a standard thing on a brand new top?

DomesticCEO Tue 07-May-13 15:03:15

That sounds v weird to me!

lborolass Tue 07-May-13 15:06:52

I would definitely email and ask the seller why the tags are being removed and unless there is a pretty good reason (can't think of one) I would avoid. Sounds very suss.

DameFanny Tue 07-May-13 15:10:43

Sounds like they took the picture when they bought the item to me

catlady1 Tue 07-May-13 15:11:21

I've known sellers to deface tags so the buyer can't return the item to the store, but to remove them seems a bit odd - after all, they're being advertised as "with tags."

BrienneOfTarth Tue 07-May-13 15:11:37

If it is advertised as BNWT then (a) the tags need to be on the item and (b) the item must be visibly shop-new i.e. no evidence that it has been worn. If this isn't the case then you can and should require a refund. Query the seller and say unequivocally that you will not accept an item described as BNWT if it doesn't look brand new or doesn't have tags still attached. The most likely response is that the seller will get all huffy and offended and refuse to sell to you - that is because you are quite correct in your suspicions and the item is not actually new.

Freddiemisagreatshag Tue 07-May-13 15:27:00

I think they bought it, took pics with the tags, wore it and are now selling it on.

Sounds suss to me.

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 07-May-13 15:44:30

I agree. I'd rather pay a few pounds extra and buy elsewhere, I think, than get into a potential argument with the seller. Its not worth it over a few pounds.

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 09-May-13 22:27:42

no way. they can't sell as BNWT and then remove! very dodgy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now