Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Cash on collection but won't collect...

(18 Posts)
Stubbed56 Tue 07-May-13 12:51:14

I just wanted to check with the experts (you) whether I'm doing the right thing. We sold a couple of heavy items, worth 50 to 100 pounds each, by auction with local pick up only as the option. However the buyers can't collect and want to send couriers. Should I allow this? I really wanted cash on collection and I'm worried about being left with no cash or items. WWYD?

FreckledLeopard Tue 07-May-13 12:52:41

Just make sure they pay you via PayPal before you let the items go to the courier. That's what I've done in the past and it's been fine.

Patchouli Tue 07-May-13 12:56:22

Cheeky of them.
The thing is if you'd opened up the auction to anyone happy to use a courier, and not just people who are local, then you might have got more money.

Stubbed56 Tue 07-May-13 13:03:56

Yes... I know that normally it should be fine, but we specifically wanted cash on collection this time, for two reasons a) because we're not around to give to a courier and b) we wanted them to check the items over before handing over the cash.

And yes, it is cheeky, as otherwise we could have opened it to a wider audience.

Stubbed56 Tue 07-May-13 13:07:41

Yes... I know that it should be fine, although there is a chance they could claim that they hadn't received anything, but we specifically wanted cash on collection this time, for a couple of reasons a) we aren't around during working hours to give to a courier and b) we wanted the buyers to check the items before handing over the cash.

And I agree it is annoying as we could have got more for them if we wanted to deliver.

Stubbed56 Tue 07-May-13 13:08:23

Yes... I know that it should be fine, although there is a chance they could claim that they hadn't received anything, but we specifically wanted cash on collection this time, for a couple of reasons a) we aren't around during working hours to give to a courier and b) we wanted the buyers to check the items before handing over the cash.

And I agree it is annoying as we could have got more for them if we wanted to deliver.

Patchouli Tue 07-May-13 13:08:44

Did you have other interest?
If so I might cancel it.

HoneyDragon Tue 07-May-13 13:11:05

I would only agree to this if I organised the courier myself.

If they send a courier they can claim non receipt of items and paypal will make you refund.

Plus they will expect you to wrap/secure the items to prevent damage and wait in all day.

If it were me, I'd cancel and resist. It charge them for a courier and organise it myself.

SavoyCabbage Tue 07-May-13 13:14:46

I wouldn't do it. How are you going to have proof of postage? What if it gets damaged? Who will have it insured?

I would cancel it and start again.

Stubbed56 Tue 07-May-13 13:18:24

Thanks - my initial reaction was to cancel them

fergoose Tue 07-May-13 13:53:00

no - you must never ever let them send their own courier - leaving yourself wide open to being scammed

cash on collection only - no exceptions

fergoose Tue 07-May-13 13:54:48

plus if the item is damaged they have to claim with courier not you, and you will be forced to refund their paypal - so you lose your item & the money.

sarahtigh Tue 07-May-13 14:51:01

just reply and say " I am sorry can't wait in for a courier; it must be as said in listing collection only in person, this is why I did not add a courier to listing, sorry you did not understand that, if you wish to collect in person please arrange that with me so that it is collected by sat 11th may, otherwise it is best we cancel sale regards stujbbed"

DiscoDonkey Tue 07-May-13 19:50:32

My parents allowed someone to collect a large item using there courier (basically a man with a van) she paid cash via the bloke but then hounded my parents saying the item was damaged. My parents had tried to persuade her to come and view the item beforehand but insisted she didn't need to.
The upshot being my parents sent her half her money back and she promptly resold it on eBay for a lot more money.

In your position I would cancel the transaction.

fergoose Tue 07-May-13 20:14:54

If they paid by cash ebay would never have forced them to refund her anything - I would have refused if I were them.

sarahtigh Tue 07-May-13 20:24:45

if you collect in person and pay by cash you are generally even by ebay (who is vastly in favour of buyer) to have inspected goods so unless a very hidden fault it is hard to win a not as described case when you collect in person also there is no way of ebay making you give refund

of course they can still leave neg feedback but you can reply and say they inspected before purchase etc

your parents should not have given money back

fergoose Tue 07-May-13 20:31:53

I agree

DiscoDonkey Tue 07-May-13 20:43:01

I have no idea why they did tbh, I guess they felt intimidated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now