Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Boo, just had 3 items not delivered this week. Idiot alert!

(9 Posts)
PlinkyLove Mon 06-May-13 19:22:43

So, I'm a new business seller. Trying to make a crust. 3 items I posted this week (so far) not arrived. Had to refund them straight away. They were all video games and worth over £30. I paid for postage online and then put them thru the post box. I realise I have been a trusting idiot but I just didn't realise I was taking such a gamble with Royal Mail. Basically, if you put anything in a post box you are taking a significant risk that some sorting office dude will nick your item and sell it down the pub. I have actually cried. Anyone else?

HystericalParoxysm Mon 06-May-13 19:28:33

Sorry to hear that. It's not necessarily Royal Mail, though. There are people who will receive a package and claim they didn't - without recorded delivery you have no proof they got it. Just chalk it up to experience and try and forget it.

PlinkyLove Mon 06-May-13 19:32:35

Thank you HP. I know it could be customers. But all three? I wanted to be all sanguine about it but to be honest I'm really skint at the moment and this has just wiped out all profit. Its hard at the mo.

fergoose Mon 06-May-13 19:55:11

you should have waited bit more than a week until refunding really. You must send with proof of delivery - that is part of the paypal agreement. It is for your own protection, not the buyer.

PlinkyLove Mon 06-May-13 20:05:24

Thank your fergoose. I didn't realise it was part of paypal agreement. I have learnt my lesson but I hope posting this makes others aware the importance of getting proof of delivery. I'm shocked at RM.

fergoose Mon 06-May-13 20:12:04

which is why if a buyer claims to not receive they will always get a refund

Try Collect+ or MyHermes who for £3.30 will give online proof of delivery and will even collect from you. Far easier and safer. You can pay with paypal too.

sarahtigh Mon 06-May-13 21:18:52

it is a requirement of seller protection with paypal not a requirement of just accepting payment via paypal

you do not have to send tracked but without it there is no seller protection but it is perfectly legal to send normal RM it is in the list of drop down postal services on ebay

but as fergoose says you will not win a not received dispute unless tracked collect plus tracked is fine you do not need to pay extra for signature unless higher than their £50 limit

if still not received within 15 working days you can claim upto £20 from royal mail for loss with certificate of posting

next time tell buyer you posted on x date look at estimated time of delivery and if still not arrived by date y ( a few more day) if they open case you have a further 7 days anyhow to respond it is reasonable to expect a buyer to wait 7-10 calendar days for second class and 5-7 days for 1st

PlinkyLove Mon 06-May-13 21:43:50

Thank you, I have learnt stuff I didn't know.

Footface Tue 07-May-13 15:36:47

It's night not be rm, could be buyers seeing not recorded and saying not received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now