Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

If i bid on something from America, will i have to pay duty?

(9 Posts)
Annianni Wed 17-Apr-13 07:51:49

I've seen something I'd like to bid on, but I'd rather not if I'd have to pay extra in taxes.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 17-Apr-13 07:54:16

Yes, I think you normally do. It can be quite a chunk! is this any good?

Annianni Wed 17-Apr-13 08:28:33

Bugger!

Thanks...

fergoose Wed 17-Apr-13 08:29:17

sometimes you don't have to pay, if the seller marks it as a gift you often don't have to pay, but there are no guarantees.

Annianni Wed 17-Apr-13 09:04:40

Thanks, I might ask the seller if they'd do that.

sarahtigh Wed 17-Apr-13 09:17:53

depends on value if low value you won;t anyway and not everything is stopped anyhow,
read sellers terms as many will not mark as gift as for something to count as a gift it must be free so if opened with packing slip/ invoice it is immediately obvious it is not a gift and duty would be payable eanyway unfortunately RM charge £8 on top of tax for administering this
I personally state in my conditions that I do not mark items as gifts and mark value as sold price exactly ie £14.26 or whatever

fergoose Wed 17-Apr-13 09:18:33

lots won't do it as it isn't allowed really, and you can still be charged anyway. How much is the item?

TolliverGroat Wed 17-Apr-13 09:41:25

If it's over £18 (I think) you theoretically need to pay, although you don't always get charged (it's a bit of a lottery). It's not always the duty/customs charges that are the issue but rather the admin charge that the post office/courier charge for collecting and processing it, which is a flat rate so if you're only slightly over the £18 limit can be over 50% of the cost of the item.

Annianni Wed 17-Apr-13 09:50:35

One is £32-69 but bids, so will be higher
And the other is £19-69 on bin

I've asked the bin one if they would, wait and see what they say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now