Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

is it worth making an offer on a Buy It Now which is halfway through with no bids?

(11 Posts)
Ponders Tue 16-Apr-13 12:16:45

It's 2 big bookcases (£150 new from Ikea) - starting price is £50, BIN £100 (seems a lot to me), finishes Friday.

I was wondering whether to message & offer eg £75, or grit teeth & hang on for end of auction.


Ponders Tue 16-Apr-13 12:17:54

they are exactly what I am planning to buy from Ikea, quite local, ready assembled - it does save a lot of faffing grin

Ponders Tue 16-Apr-13 20:11:53

bump for helpful advice please

DiscoDonkey Tue 16-Apr-13 21:54:05

Well no harm in offering, but they may have loads of watchers so might want to let the auction run.

Ponders Tue 16-Apr-13 22:03:23

thanks, DD smile

just under 3 days to go now. if the auction runs that's fine; just hoping somebody else doesn't do BIN!

DiscoDonkey Wed 17-Apr-13 14:13:56

I think once there is bids the option to buy it now goes? Could be wrong though

nicewatch Sat 20-Apr-13 05:19:40

Bid 50 now, then that will remove the BIN option.

You can come back when the auction is about to end and raise your bid to 75.

Ponders Sat 20-Apr-13 12:55:48

thanks, nicewatch - I did think about doing that, but thought if anyone else was watching they might bid it up, so I crossed fingers & hung on. someone bid £50 with about 2 mins to go last night & I nipped in got them for £51 smile

£50 was way too high for a starting price, I think

haven't heard from the seller yet though...

SavoyCabbage Sat 20-Apr-13 12:58:17

If they have lots of watchers, they won't care about your offer.

sarahtigh Sat 20-Apr-13 13:05:19

I would email seller and say

"so glad to have won when can i come and collect will bring cash with me my mobile is 077xxxxxxxxx please ring me to arrange suitable time this weekend

many thanks ponders"

Ponders Sat 20-Apr-13 14:24:06

thanks, sarah - I emailed this morning, & did say I'd bring cash, though I didn't give my mobile.

it's such a lovely day though, they may well be out (unlike poor me, toiling on the PC wink) so I'll leave it until tomorrow before starting to fret. (but given the forecast for tomorrow I don't think I'll be picking up then - I don't want wet bookcases!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now