Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer wants to collect and pay in cash - Good idea or no?

(15 Posts)
blue2 Sat 06-Apr-13 12:23:23

We have an old lawnmower that didn't sell first time round on ebay. We've relisted it and just had a message from a person watching it to say he'd be happy to collect and pay cash for it.

I feel that its wrong to do this, but cannot work out the repercussions if something happens. Obviously Ebay are against this type of transaction.

Can someone advise, please?

Many Thanks

blue2 Sat 06-Apr-13 13:16:10

Bump!

AngelWreakinHavoc Sat 06-Apr-13 13:17:51

I allow buyers to collect and pay cash on a daily basis. Depending on their feedback I will sometimes get customers to sign something to say it has been collected.

bran Sat 06-Apr-13 13:19:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PoodleChops Sat 06-Apr-13 13:20:31

EBay don't like you accepting cash because they don't get fees from a transaction that doesn't involve Paypal lol! They may claim they don't like cash transactions as it gives you no protection as a buyer or seller. But the truth of the matter, is that you're more "at risk" of repercussions if you accept Paypal on a collection item.

thewhistler Sat 06-Apr-13 13:20:36

Make out an invoice, get them to sign and email them afterwards to confirm and get a response from them. Make it clear up front this is,what you will do.

queenofthepirates Sat 06-Apr-13 13:21:03

Personally I'd just do it, you're paid ebay's listing fees already so don't feel too bad. Unlist it and sell it to them for cash.

dontwanttobefatandforty Sat 06-Apr-13 13:21:35

ooh I've just had a collection in person picked up and they payed by paypal. Fingers crossed they are nice people confused

littlebitofthislittlebitofthat Sat 06-Apr-13 13:21:44

Shouldn't it be ...

Good idea or not?

Ebayaholic Sat 06-Apr-13 13:21:58

Are you thinking if doing the transaction outside of eBay or setting up a buy it now for him to click on?

Cash is the norm on collection and saves on PayPal fees. eBay are happy for cash on collection although you have to offer PayPal as an option.

CointreauVersial Sat 06-Apr-13 13:23:43

Yy to cash! You can't possibly be ripped off (unless it's forged, ha ha).

Never accept Paypal if the item is being collected - you have no proof that you despatched/delivered the item, and the buyer can claim they never received the goods and will win because you have no proof that you handed the goods over. And no, a signed piece of paper from the buyer saying they collected the item won't wash with Paypal, they want to see courier confirmations etc.

blue2 Sat 06-Apr-13 15:15:26

littlebit - you are absolutely right! I was multi tasking as I wrote the title (ie had ds yabbering into one ear while answering the "What's for lunch?" question to dh)

Thank you, Thank you for your replies. I understand Ebay don't want any cash transactions as it takes business away from them, but I've been caught out by buyers on Ebay in the past (I'm a bit too trusting) and I just wanted to check.

I will sort out an invoice for them to sign.

Thank you all again!

sarahtigh Sun 07-Apr-13 21:47:25

you can get invoice signed but it is a waste of time neither ebay or paypal accept signed receipts just official tracking numbers

NEVER EVER accept paypal for collection items, in fact it is generally advised if they do pay by paypal that you refund them and ask for cash on collection

queenebay Sun 07-Apr-13 22:37:00

Bite their hands off. Always accept cash on collection. No need to get them to sign anything- means zilch! Take their money and run!

notcitrus Sun 07-Apr-13 23:17:59

In the depths of their advice, Ebay say only to accept cash for.collection.items, even though you have to accept Papal on listings, so I specify cash only for collection in listing text, and refund any payment made by Paypal if they say they want to collect.

Cash is great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now