Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

What would you do?

(9 Posts)
Lulabel27 Thu 04-Apr-13 08:08:14

I've sold a very expensive heavy item for just under £1000 which is about £100 more than similar items are selling for. I stipulated cash on collection but I could post within Uk of buyer contacted me first.

My winning bidder is from Czech republic... I've spoken to her (she rang me) several times to discuss and she sounds genuine. She says she can't get this item over there which is why it's worth the money to her. She has paid via PayPal and suggested a delivery company called Dolphi Transport who can provide signature proof of delivery and she's happy to pay the delivery cost and I would arrange.

Her PayPal address is the same as her delivery address and she has 285 positive feedbacks. Why do I feel unsure? I just don't want to be ripped off?

One of the things that makes me unsure is that her address is "unverified" so PayPal say they can do chargeback but not sure what this means.

What would you do?

fergoose Thu 04-Apr-13 09:12:53

I would refund and tell her to pay by bank transfer

Then she can pay the extra for the courier too

You are bombproof then - plus the paypal fees on that amount are extortionate aren't they?

Lulabel27 Thu 04-Apr-13 09:44:17

I did suggest she pay by bank transfer but she said the fees were extortionate for cross currency bank transfer and she's also prefer to pay by paypal to be protected....

I can see her point of view but I still feel uncomfortable mybe unnecessarily.

Yes PayPal fees are crazy!!!! About £50?

Acandlelitshadow Thu 04-Apr-13 09:46:43

If she pays by paypal, she is protected but you're not. How much are the bank fees? Might be worth your while to offer to pay those (not the courier) if it's made a bit more than similar items?

fergoose Thu 04-Apr-13 10:35:00

there is absolutely no way I would accept paypal for this transaction - refund her now - tell her either bank transfer or cheque, or when her courier comes to collect they can bring cash.

If she refuses send cancellation request to get your fvf refunded. And block bidders from abroad in future.

jendot Thu 04-Apr-13 16:37:58

No no no no......don't do it!

The only way I would even consider this is if she had paid by bank transfer (she pays fees) and if I had arranged the courier and made sure that I was fully insured/tracked/ protected in every way...

You are NOT protected by Paypal if you send to an unverified address...if she books the courier...

What if the item is damaged in transit??

This shrieks of a scam at worst and very risky at best!

jendot Thu 04-Apr-13 16:38:01

No no no no......don't do it!

The only way I would even consider this is if she had paid by bank transfer (she pays fees) and if I had arranged the courier and made sure that I was fully insured/tracked/ protected in every way...

You are NOT protected by Paypal if you send to an unverified address...if she books the courier...

What if the item is damaged in transit??

This shrieks of a scam at worst and very risky at best!

Lulabel27 Fri 05-Apr-13 20:52:59

Thank you all I think deep down I thought the same but wanted my thoughts validated if that makes sense. I didn't want to turn down a perfectly good buyer for just a hunch.

So I emailed her and told her I had to cancel the transaction because I didn't want to send buggy to unconfirmed address and it was risky for me etc. so she replied saying she understood and will I meet her friend who lives about 20 miles from me and she'll take the buggy and pay cash. I guess this is ok right? Would appreciate all your thoughts on this!

Thank you...

fergoose Fri 05-Apr-13 21:23:13

yes cash is absolutely fine - no problems there, plus no fees whatsoever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now