Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is this negative feedback fair and what should I do now?

(17 Posts)
HootShoot Tue 02-Apr-13 20:16:53

My first ever post on mumsnet!! Whoop whoop.

I am new to ebay and I've been given negative feedback and I'm not sure what to do about it.

So I listed 9 items for sale - my first ever auctions. The first item was a bit of a test item was posted on one day the other 8 was posted the following day. The first item didn't sell and when I went to relist it I noticed the paypal address was for an old account in my maiden name which hasn't been used for years and is limited so wouldn't accept any payments. I had a new paypal account which I thought I had linked to my ebay account but I obviously hadn't done it right as the wrong account was showing. I discovered this was the case for the other 8 items and the auctions were due to finish in three hours. I phoned ebay who told me it wasnt possible to change the paypal account and I should let the auction finish and then contact my buyers explaining what had happened and giving them the email address for the correct paypal account. When the first auction finished I tried to do this but discovered that I couldn't include an email address in the ebay message as it is against ebay rules! I went on the live chat with the help desk and they told me I should send a message explaining what had happened and asking the buyer to text me so I could text them back my email address.

So I contacted each of my buyers as advised and was very apologetic and embarrassed about any disruptions I might be causing them. Six of them were absolutely fine about it and have gone on to make payments and their items have been sent out. One of them said they would prefer not to continue with the transaction and we have cancelled it. One left negative feedback saying there was no option to pay. I had messaged them the same as the others and they had not contacted me before leaving the feedback. I messaged them again explaining they could make the payment by logging onto their paypal account, selecting "pay anybody" and entering my email address and the amount they had bid. They seemed confused by this as I had another message saying they couldnt pay through google and only through pay pal. I sent them another message explaining it again and apologising each time. Then I sent them a message saying if they werent sure we could relist the item with a buy it now price of the amount they had bid, I would let them know the auction was starting and they could pay straightaway to the correct pay pal account. These messages were sent last night and the bid finished yesterday afternoon.

I haven't had a response to either of these messages so I sent a follow up message this morning saying that my six other buyers had all been able to pay my new paypal account so it was definitely working, phew! I said if they had any questions to let me know, but still nothing. I know that this was my own error in set up and I do feel bad about making things complicated for my buyers but I am also trying really hard to get this resolved. What should I do now do you think? Also at what point do I give my six buyers who have paid feedback - do I do it after they have received the items or now as I have sent them out.

Sorry this was so long!

fergoose Tue 02-Apr-13 20:59:05

nothing you can do really - maybe leave a follow up to the neg.

As for feedback for your other buyers, up to you when you leave it, there is no rule as to when, or if, you should leave any feedback.

HootShoot Tue 02-Apr-13 21:12:18

Thanks Fergoose, so should I wait until the four days is up now and click on the bit that says 'resolve a problem?' How do you follow up to negative feedback?

fergoose Tue 02-Apr-13 21:45:00

what do you mean? You are going to file a non paying bidder report?

You go here to reply to feedback received

feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?PersonalizedFeedbackLogin

HootShoot Tue 02-Apr-13 21:54:58

I'm not sure what I mean to be honest! I guess I don't know what to do as they bid on an item, they could pay (everyone else did) but they havent and now I have this item showing as purchased but they dont seem to want to go ahead and buy it. Can I close the item down without filing a non paying bidder report? Thanks for that link as well - that's really useful.

SavoyCabbage Tue 02-Apr-13 22:00:48

I think you should leave a comment under the negative feedback with an explanation of what happened.

I don't blame the one who wanted to cancel for doing so. If she couldn't pay with PayPal then she was protecting herself and you should leave her alone. Or giver her a positive saying "understanding buyer. Sorry about the confusion" or similar.

HootShoot Tue 02-Apr-13 22:08:00

Thanks SavoyCabbage - I don't blame her either - I would have been a bit suspicious of someone who wanted me to contact them by mobile in order to receive instructions on how to make the payment! She was really nice about it and I will put some positive feedback for her.

It's the other person I am not sure about as they have not said they don't want to go ahead - they've asked me a few times how they can pay and I have explained, but then they have gone quiet on me and left this negative feedback, I could accept it if there was no way for them to pay but there is, and others have, but maybe I just need to take it on the chin!

fergoose Tue 02-Apr-13 22:31:10

just send them a cancellation request and get your fees back - it wouldn't be fair to file a non paying bidder report against them.

I wouldn't text a seller and pay to a different email address to be honest.

I would presume they either don't know how to make the payment or they suspect it is a scam.

HootShoot Tue 02-Apr-13 22:39:22

I know - it did look odd but ebay told me I didnt have any other options as I couldnt change or end the auction as it was closed early. Thanks for your help fergoose. I should have come on here and asked you guys what to do rather than ebay customer service!

fergoose Tue 02-Apr-13 22:47:19

I must admit I have never heard of not being able to send you email address via ebay messages.

If you have a new ebay account I would just open a new one and start with a clean slate, then you won't need to worry about the neg.

HootShoot Tue 02-Apr-13 22:53:58

It's odd isnt it - if you include an email address it refuses to send the message. I'll look into opening a new acount and leave the buyer for a couple of days and then message them again asking if they are happy for me to send them a cancellation request.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Tue 02-Apr-13 23:39:27

I had the exact same problem recently. I didn't notice that the eBay page had dropped the wrong email address in. Apparently it picked out one of a choice of two and got the one that was misspelt. I rang eBay and their advice was to offer the correct email address. I just messaged each buyer explaining everything and asking them to pay straight into the right email address which was only misspelt by one letter. It was simple to explain without having to write the entire email address. As soon as the payment registered in Paypal I sent the item.

eBay said make sure you check the email address in the next few items that you sell, and eventually it will always select the right one.

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Wed 03-Apr-13 07:51:48

I had the same issue once, I just changed it and resent the invioce

HootShoot Wed 03-Apr-13 10:07:17

I'm glad I'm not the only one to do it! I didn't know you could change the invoices. Would he still have to go into paypal and pay manually though?

PearlyWhites Wed 03-Apr-13 19:31:45

For future reference this is how you write an email address on an eBay message HootShootATyahooDOTcom

HootShoot Wed 03-Apr-13 20:19:15

Thanks PearlyWhites, hopefully I will get it right next time!

PearlyWhites Wed 03-Apr-13 21:31:01

smile I had the wrong PayPal account on my eBay account in the past also. eBay should make it simpler to change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now