This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here
Oh feck, MyEbay Christmas pressie is a bag of shite WWYD?(19 Posts)
Hi folks, after some advice here (sorry thats obvious ) after months of looking for the ideal Bike i found one on ebay, only to be outbid at the last minute. To my delight I was then offered it on a second chance bid, due to a time waster.
The bike was not local so I paid for shipping as well.
When the bike arrived it was totally dismantled - I have assembled new bikes before but this was much more than I had done, so without unpacking anything (I had seen the dismantling by lifting bubble wrap off top of box) I took it to my local bike shop for them to assemble and appraise.
I should say here that I know my local bike shop mechanic really well as I run a kids cycle club that he help set up - he is very honest and always give me freebies,discounts ect.
That afternoon I get a phone call to say that basicially , the bike is a pile of crap and he lists dozens of things that need replacing. The bike had been described as recently serviced but the chainset is covered is gunk and grime
I contacted the seller who was adament the bike had not been ridden and recently serviced. He was sorry I had felt let down and misled (quoting from my email to him) and has asked for more detail from my mechanic.
So today I have received a verbal list of whats required. Its loads, and this is before they start assembling it. With labour it amounts to £200+ I paid £325 +£20 delivery for the bike. My Mechanic friend says at presant its not worth anything near that but done up it would be worth more. However he also said if it were a local buy, he would be marching round and getting his money back
I have emailed the seller all this recent info and awaiting a response. I feel torn as to wether I should be demading a full refund (and having to go through hassle of packing it up again, arranging parcelforce etc) or requesting a partial refund to offset the restoration costs. And if they say "tough shit" whats the best follow up?
So gutted, this was my first road bike and I have been looking forward to getting one for aaages - Even Bike shop are feeling for me as they have been looking for one for me too
Sorry, long post so thanks for reading
Tell seller you're returning it for full refund; don't ask, just tell him. Pack back up as well as you can, use cheapest (insured& tracked) Courier to send it back to seller & demand your money for original postage & purchase price. Open a "Not as Described" case if seller is awkward about refund. You should get refund within 3 days of item being delivered back to seller (use tracking to verify when seller got it). You won't get money back for return courier, I'm afraid.
What bike was it, may I ask? Prices will be better after Christmas and before mid-Feb, too.
Did you pay by PayPal?
Would you be happy with a partial refund to cover the repairs or just want to send it back and be done with it?
sounds to be like the seller has been less than honest. I would open a not as described dispute and get a refund and shop elsewhere.
And leave appropriate feedback and stars to stop the seller conning another buyer.
Personally I would pay £20 to send it back for a full refund, losing £40.
Do you think it's worth £545, or would you rather just be £40 down and start again?
the seller has to refund everything, they can't keep the £20 for p&p
Thanks everyone. I havn't heard anything back from the initially sympathetic seller, so my good nature is dimishing by the hour. The bike is with my mechanic at his shop so at least it isnt cluttering up my bloody house during the next few days when we have family over.
Giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are busy with Christmas Stuff, I shall be getting in touch first thing in the morning of 27th to arrange return methinks. Unless they are happy to refund the cost of repairs which I doubt. I could buy a new with warrenty (perhaps slightly lower spec but still suitable) bike in the sales for what it will cost to be rideable, and I suspect I will end up resenting the darn thing for making my Christmas miserable (needs to shake off current mindset )
I did pay with paypal, but whilst they have my address and phone number so they could send it, I dont have theirs to return. If they don't want to co-operate, how do I get it?
open the case with ebay - you can do that now. Then in 8 days you can escalate, and ebay will give you the sellers' address to return it. You then give them the tracking and you will get your refund. So have it ready and packed up to be sent back before you escalate the case.
Just to update. I didnt hear back, but left it a few days over Chrismas, sending a reminder message on 27th to check they had recieved list of problems and what was happening? (I know I am soft, but try to believe everyone has good in them (mug emoction..) No response so have just opened up dispute.
Will need hand holding now..
You go Girl!! Don't worry, you can do this. That's a lot of money to lose (what kind of bike was it?).
Ebay will probably want you to get a statement from your mechanic about what all is wrong with it. And you must send it back with a recordable system (tracked delivery).
Put it to a dispute. You will have to send back at your own expense but can search for a cheap courier
Dispute has been raised and still heard nothing back from Seller. He has until 8th to respond and then it goes to ebay to decide. I wrote out detailed explanation and think it was balanced. Only annoying thing was that you could only ask for one outcome. So I had to say I only wanted to return the bike and get a full refund, whereas I would have been happy to say that, or a partial refund. I can see if he is not responding so I cannot return bike then ebay might not find in my favour and return my money as I still have the goods Anyone had anything similar happen to them?
Oh and for those that were asking, it was a specialized road bike - My first
you will have to prove the bike has been returned and then ebay will refund you the money - him not responding is irrelevant really.
So bastard seller replied this morning. He has denied the bike is damaged and says he replaced parts three months ago. Refusing to entertain any refund and stated that I have unrealistic expectations and would only have been happy with a new bike.
I have replied stating that I am happy to pay for report on bike, that as an experienced buyer and seller, I know what fair wear and tear is and this is waaay beyond that.
Was hoping he would just not reply. bugger
and how soon can you escalate? I wouldn't reply nor would I agree to pay for a report - just get it packed and ready to courier back and give ebay the info once they tell you to return
then leave appropriate feedback and stars
It is at dispute stage presently and he had until the 8th to respond, has done nothing until today Fergoose. I dont have his address or else I would have already returned. That said he is refusing to accept my request of return for a refund as he is stating bike is acceptable standard for secondhand. By comparision, a friend of mine bought another ebay bike a few weeks earlier (she unknowingly pipped me at the same auction ironically) and also had hers checked over by same mechanic as I use. It was fine aside from some minor tightening of brake cables and chain -a quick tune up basically
ok - escalate tomorrow and ebay will then give you his address to return. Have you found a courier and got it ready to go?
And he can't refuse the return so ignore that bit btw.
Join the discussion
Please login first.