Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is ebay a complete waste of time and effort?

(28 Posts)
GreeenFingers Wed 07-Nov-12 09:41:42

Recently started selling stuff on ebay in an attempt to make some money for Christmas.
I've been thorough in my descriptions ,provided clear photos, measurement, payment and postage details, but it seems that people want something for nothing.I've not asked anyone to " bid" on my items to boost sales, I've timed them to end at a time when they have optimum viewings and I'm left wondering what I'm doing wrong.
Are there any other selling sites people could recommend?

lljkk Wed 07-Nov-12 09:57:47

Local free ads?

gottasmile Wed 07-Nov-12 09:59:55

Look at gumtree, we sold loads using this site.

GreeenFingers Wed 07-Nov-12 10:01:48

I wanted to get a wider audience than say a local paper,as the items needed to be shown. I'll look at gumtree thanks.

LineRunner Wed 07-Nov-12 23:35:17

I'm kind of getting a bit fed up, really. It seems to be a huge amount of effort to net what are usually quite small sums.

PurpleFrog Thu 08-Nov-12 09:23:06

I have had quite a bit of success on Gumtree. I mainly use it for larger things, that I don't want to post. The local nearly new section on Netmums is also worth a try - especially for kid's stuff - I've sold a few things there.

What sort of stuff are you selling on eBay - is it mainly clothes? And are you starting at 99p or higher?

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 08-Nov-12 09:30:10

I'm finding selling on ebay increasingly stressful. I wouldn't recommend it unless it's something kind of big and heavy and you can't shift it any other way.

Clothes etc tends to be a waste of time unless they are high-fashion, very popular and likely to be contested by a few people in the bidding. (just sold a Belstaff jacket, that sort of thing goes well - baby clothes, women's clothes especially individually don't tend to make very much)

It's often the case you get non payers or people being weird. It's a real hassle tbh.

Btw I don't know what gumtree is like for selling but for buying, it can be a total nightmare. I've bought on there three times, maybe four, and at least two of those things were dodgy.

LineRunner Thu 08-Nov-12 09:34:30

I'm selling all sorts - clothes, books, console games, toys...

I used Gumtree really successfull to get rid of the big stuff. Everything else I really want to be able to post now, because it's a faff waiting in for someone to come and collect things, and making sure there's someone in the house with me etc, or meeting in a local cafe, especially if it's only for a few quid.

I think the real stress of ebaY is knowing that someone has 45 days to open a case. They can wear your clothes for a month and a half, and then open a SNAD. Is it really worth it?

expatinscotland Thu 08-Nov-12 09:39:59

I use Gumtree or local FB selling pages. WAY better, cash and no disputes a month later.

Fairylea Thu 08-Nov-12 09:41:53

I did it for a bit but I've found the only things that sell really well are designer stuff or very very high end brand names
... everything else just isn't worth the hassle of posting and whatever else for about a few quid return.

Corygal Thu 08-Nov-12 09:48:06

Ebay sounds good, but as for the reality...

Ebay won't release stats that show how many sales fail, how many buyers run off, how many transactions are scams, how many refunds are given (ie where the seller loses rather than makes money). Or how many false refunds are claimed, which is the big latest problem area.

Paypal doesn't work wildly well either - even Paypal themselves admit their system is subject to 'glitch' which means they lose or delay your money.

Having just got off the phone to the police after I was scammed into making a mistake, you can see that I might sound prejudiced. But what I've posted are the facts, not opinion. Thing is, the ebay attitude is that the customer is always right - including scammers, bolters and non-payers.

Can you imagine a shop with the slogan "Our Customer is Always Right - Even the Shoplifters"? You don't need to - that's ebay. Of course, they're not losing their own money.

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 08-Nov-12 09:54:57

I agree Cory. It is totally a buyer's market and that includes the 'buyers' who run off with your stuff sad or pretend it's damaged when it isn't, or change their minds about paying. Or demand you do something that's not within guidelines, and puts you outwith seller protection, on pain of negative feedback. The list is endless.

Buying on ebay is Ok, usually. (you can still get stung though - I had a big battle last year regarding an item I couldn't afford to return, not as described, etc)
Selling, not so much. I avoid it where possible.

PurpleFrog Thu 08-Nov-12 09:59:13

Hmm - I seem to have avoided most of the nutty/crooked buyers on eBay, but I don't think my expectations are as high now as they were when I first started selling there. My aims are two-fold - decluttering and recouping a bit of the money I have spent on things over the years. I always do lots of research on eBay before listing things - I don't tend to list something if it is likely to only make 99p profit. Most books are not worth listing on eBay. Most of the clothing I have sold has been BNWT (unworn presents for dd) or lightly-used good brands of schoolwear, sportswear, outdoor clothing etc.. If I am unsure whether something will sell I will keep it for a Free Listing Weekend.

janx Thu 08-Nov-12 10:11:46

The for sale boards on here on Mumsnet used to be really good but then they introduced the £10 subscription and loads of people left to go on fb... Real shamesad

PurpleFrog Thu 08-Nov-12 11:45:49

Yes - I used to sell a few bits and pieces here - I think I even sold something to you, janx, if I remember correctly! But, I never sold enough to justify spending £10 a year. I do still skim the "For Sale" section occasionally to see if there are any relevant "Wanted" posts, though.

I have looked to see if there are any Facebook Groups in our area but didn't find anything that seemed particularly active.

janx Thu 08-Nov-12 18:26:34

You have a good memory purple grin

Snog Thu 08-Nov-12 18:35:57

I used to eBay loads of my old gear and in the early days of eBay it worked great

Recently they have made it almost impossible for private sellers to use eBay by restricting the number of items you can sell in a 30 day period to about 25 and allowing buyers to piss you around as much as they like. Meantime postage has gone up hugely and you have to use PayPal who charge you for the priveledge.

I now send bags of high quality gear eg hardly used Boden kids wear, etc, even new items to the charity shops, because eBay is simply more hassle than its worth. Their policy is to drive out personal sellers in favour of businesses.

Acandlelitshadow Thu 08-Nov-12 18:54:24

I still sell but I've cut down a lot. The postage is rapacious, the fees are rapacious and there is virtually no protection for sellers. I've just had to refund someone who claims a parcel didn't turn up and got charged a 20p paypal fee for the privilege of doing so hmm.

Acandlelitshadow Thu 08-Nov-12 18:57:29

Oh, and I only ever list on free listing days too. Fucked off with paying for stuff that doesn't sell.

I do better at car boots these days.

lljkk Thu 08-Nov-12 18:59:54

Some folk swear by Facebook For Sale pages. Have to hunt for one in your area.

Sadly, ime, elsewhere can't match Ebay for sale price obtained except for certain types of goods that are best off being sold Collection only, anyway.

TheCrackFox Thu 08-Nov-12 19:07:53

Used to use EBay a lot but it has turned into a massive PITA recently.

I use Gumtree to sell big items and the good old fashioned carboot for the little stuff.

SarryB Thu 08-Nov-12 19:17:36

I recently did quite well selling a few bits and pieces on eBay - helped us out of the overdraft!

Gumtree doesn't work quite so well for us in terms of big things, as we're miles away from anywhere.

I'm going to try local papers for the big things we're trying to get rid of.

<<actually, I am slightly annoyed that I paid £10 for access to the mumsnet selling boards, and there is NOTHING on them>>

LineRunner Thu 08-Nov-12 19:24:20

I do get the best price for console games on ebaY.

LineRunner Thu 08-Nov-12 19:28:09

And I have to say that console game buyers are very straightforward. They tend to bid their highest price; pay the same or the next day; and leave feedback.

autumnfrost Thu 08-Nov-12 19:44:38

I sell clothes Boden.Jigsaw,Joules Hobbs etc.I have made over £800 since about July but I have to keep plugging away I got off to a great start but it has slowed down just now.I have had 2 bad sales this week and I have had to bend over backwards in hope they will not leave negative feedback.I have nearly a 1000 feedback but it only takes one to knock your confidence.I would not sell at car boot sales as nobody wants to pay over £2 for stuff/Don`t fancy gumtree either.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: