Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Sigh...it's just not worth it in the end is it?

(8 Posts)
LedaOfSparta Mon 05-Nov-12 17:44:31

I sell a few bits and pieces, mostly things the kids have outgrown and usually only make a couple of quid. This money just sits in a paypal account and gets used at Xmas for presents.

I don't usually have any problems at all and have 100% positive feedback but just occasionally some buyers make me despair. I put pics up, I ask if people would like more photos or specific photos, I answer questions promptly etc etc.

About a week ago I sold a coat new without tags as post preg it's too tight over the boobs. I tried it on in the house and didnt see any problems and would have kept it had it fit. The buyer has now contacted me to say it must be a second as the stitching is funny over the boobs and is 'too pointy'. It isn't a second and I paid normal rrp for it.

Now, my returns policy is no returns but buyer is saying it's not as described rather than simply that she doesn't like it.

What's the best thing to do? I've asked how she wants to resolve the prob but am very reluctant to have it returned and refund for an imaginary problem.

WWYD?

EdsRedeemingQualities Mon 05-Nov-12 17:58:03

I feel your pain. In cases like this the only real option you have is to tell the buyer to return it for a refund - she has to do this at her expense though and may decide not to bother.

Only refund once you have it back.

I've had a buyer refuse to pay this week, they waited a few days to let me know though, so I couldn't relist it at the weekend...bloody annoying.

And another one say they are 'desperate' for the item they won, and then not contact me all day about collecting it.

I despair sometimes.

Rachel130690 Mon 05-Nov-12 18:08:33

Unfort you cannot say no returns as a buyer can open a case with eBay. Ask her to return item, then give refund, eBay should sort out your fees as well I think. I'm not 100% sure so hopefully someone else can help you a bit more.

LedaOfSparta Mon 05-Nov-12 18:20:53

It's bizarre isn't it. I sometimes wonder if people realise you aren't a shop and that stuff is cheaper for that exact reason ( as well as being bnwot/ used whatever).

lljkk Mon 05-Nov-12 20:35:53

in your case, Leda, I would just fully refund if it's a low value item & ask for it returned & then refund all but return postage if it's a high value item.

I feel your pain, it's annoying when people are awkward.

fergoose Mon 05-Nov-12 20:55:37

but don't refund anything until it is returned to you

LedaOfSparta Mon 05-Nov-12 21:59:00

Thanks for the tips.

The other annoying thing is that when I relist I'll have to explain the whole rigmarole even though the item is not faulty which will in turn affect the end price.

I've also already used the paypal funds so I assume the refund will come direct from my account?

fergoose Mon 05-Nov-12 22:05:26

no you will need credit in your paypal account to refund, so if the balance is less than you need you will have to transfer funds from your bank to paypal, then when you want to refund click on the payment itself in paypal, scroll down and hit refund.

After the refund you can then send a cancellation request to the buyer to get your fvf refunded, then you can relist

you shouldn't need to explain in the listing previous sale info - just give lots of measurements and clear photos - photograph it on a mannequin or even on a person so you represent it clearly I reckon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now