Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Why do I always get the WEIRD BUYERS

(14 Posts)
EdsRedeemingQualities Tue 30-Oct-12 20:41:49

Feel free to rant along on this thread. It can't be just me, can it?

Earlier I got a strange short email starting 'dear seller'. Asking me to end my auction early as she cannot wait for the end.

Well fair enough but no reason is given, no explanation. And it only went on last night and I have several watchers.

So I said sorry, but no, I'll let it run.

Then another email arrives from another person. Long winded, apologetic explanation as to why SHE needs the bloody thing urgently, which I am more amenable to, so I send back a message saying, well maybe I can help, I already said no to someone else as they were a bit odd, but you sound like a human being so i'll see what I can do.

Half an hour later, a reply - she KNOWS the other person I described as odd blushblush and they are in league and they both want the blooming item.

Offers me the starting price with assurances that I probably won't even get a starting bid at that price, from anyone else.

I told her I'd sleep on it.

I mean WTAF? I'd already said no to her mate. And she is promising me five star feedback. It reads exactly like the Nigerian scam but based in Middlesex.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

TheLateMrPamuk Tue 30-Oct-12 20:44:48

What is it smile?

EdsRedeemingQualities Tue 30-Oct-12 20:45:30

Oh god. I'm reluctant to say in case they are reading this too! <paranoid>

vintageviolets Tue 30-Oct-12 20:47:16

Don't reply to any of their emails. God, that would drive me mad. Just ignore them!

EdsRedeemingQualities Tue 30-Oct-12 20:50:52

I'm wondering if they will find a way to bid, anyway, if I say no - even if it's 'too late' by the time the auction ends.

And then leave me bad feedback for not selling to them at starting price.

It's a bloody minefield, I daren't even block them from bidding as they'll get even weirder.

They want it for a film set.

blueshoes Tue 30-Oct-12 20:52:20

what are you selling?

pmgkt Tue 30-Oct-12 20:58:41

People often use stories to get items cheaper hoping you don't know its true value. Often its a up coming birthday excuse, have a look in to other listings to get an idea of what it might go for and then decide. Im always cautious of these messages.

EdsRedeemingQualities Wed 31-Oct-12 07:29:10

Thanks guys. I've got 19 watchers this morning so I'm probably going to say no - she offered me more money in the end, but even so, it was such a long drawn out story and so filled with pressure to make me agree to it that it makes me not want to - iyswim. I know I might not get any bids, I know other people might not like the condition, (old item) and I know she really, really wants it.
But that's beside the point - someone pointing out all this just makes me go hmm really.
Thanks again.

WhispersOfWickedness Wed 31-Oct-12 07:32:04

Definitely don't end it if you know that two people want it, you could make millions! grin They are both loons confused

Havingkitties Wed 31-Oct-12 08:27:09

Maybe you should block them too? Sounds like they could be trouble if they win it

girlbehind Wed 31-Oct-12 08:31:20

I'd block them both, tbh. Not worth being hassled (unless it's v valuable).

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 31-Oct-12 08:44:11

Block block block!

God alone knows how weird they'll get if they actually win it. I'd be expecting all kinds of requests for partial refunds and threats of negative feedback for vicarious reasons.

Ebay oddballs are rarely genuinely odd, they know exactly what they're doing.

KnickersOnOnesHead Fri 02-Nov-12 12:41:33

How weird!!

When someone states that you won't even get a bid it usually means it will go for a fair bit!!

Good luck with the auction now smile

WhispersOfWickedness Fri 02-Nov-12 15:22:51

When does it end? Please come back and update us as to how much it went for compared to their offers grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now