Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer wants to return branded bag, thinks it's a fake!

(18 Posts)
LittlePandaBear Mon 29-Oct-12 21:31:45

Hi,

I've only started selling things on ebay over the past few months to raise a bit of cash.

I sold a branded bag last week for a price I was happy with and posted it out special delivery. I received a message from the buyer this evening saying she's not sure if it's real and wants a refund. I have responded to say that yes she can have a refund as I don't want it to get escalated but I'm disappointed and not sure what to do next. I won't give the refund until I receive the bag back.

The bag was a gift to me originally but I haveabs olutely no doubts that it's genuine and I put lots of pictures of it on ebay.

So, I'd still like to sell the bag, but am worried about selling on ebay again in case someone else also wants to return it! I don't want to look like a dodgy seller, I have other positive reviews but only 5 as I don't buy anything on ebay and am new to it.

Is there anywhere else where I could sell a designer bag?

Thanks for reading my rant smile

Fairylea Mon 29-Oct-12 21:34:42

I'd just try and sell it again if youre sure it's genuine... ask the buyer what makes her think it is a fake maybe ?

Failing that try gumtree or preloved.

WineOhWhy Mon 29-Oct-12 21:36:12

Will you know if she returns the same bag? It is a reasonably well known scam to claim something is fake, keep the original, return an actual fake and pocket the money. There was a thread on here very recently.

blondiedollface Mon 29-Oct-12 21:39:55

Be careful I have seen threads on MN warning that people buy a genuine, swap it for a fake, send you the fake and then sell on the genuine article!!

Did it have a tag with a serial number or a swatch inside? Make sure if she does send it back to you it is the very same bag... I personally would refuse the return on grounds that you know it is genuine.

LittlePandaBear Mon 29-Oct-12 21:41:14

Oh no - I hadn't even thought of that! I'd like to think I would recognise the same bag.

The buyer has bought maybe a dozen or so of the same brand of bags over the past few weeks, and another brand, I can see from her reviews. Hmmm.

I'll wait to see what I get in the post back.

LittlePandaBear Mon 29-Oct-12 21:43:20

I guess if it's not the same one that's sent back, I can just not issue the refund so I won't be out of pocket?

fergoose Mon 29-Oct-12 21:45:19

ok - well tell her to return it in the condition in which it was sent, and once you have checked and verified your security marks, you will issue her with a refund

blondiedollface Mon 29-Oct-12 21:47:15

I think paypal will be on the buyer's side you will really have to fight it, but if you say it's not the same bag and can use photos to prove it they may not grant the refund as long as you send the bag back - I'd be very suspicious if she has bought many of the same bag!!

LittlePandaBear Mon 29-Oct-12 21:48:17

Thanks for the advice everyone - it doesn't have a serial number on it but I know it's genuine! Hate feeling like I'm the dodgy one when it's probably her!

Will let you know when I hear back/get the bag back.

fergoose Mon 29-Oct-12 21:49:32

yes but the buyer doesn't know you haven't security marked it does she - that is the whole point, but it can stop her sending back a different bag

ravenAK Mon 29-Oct-12 21:51:40

Agree with fergoose - say you are happy to refund her, but you need to check bag for your security marks.

It's almost certainly a scammer, it's a well established con & you say she's bought lots of similar bags?

It's a nice safe scam too. If you call her bluff, she can just re-sell your bag.

JackThePumpkinKing Mon 29-Oct-12 21:51:53

Thanks for this thread. I'd never have thought to security mark an item before sending.

LittlePandaBear Mon 29-Oct-12 21:53:34

Well there was a darker mark on the back of the bag, which I'd specified when I sold it, so can look out for that!

LittlePandaBear Mon 29-Oct-12 21:57:39

I've just counted, she has bought 25 of this brand's bags and one other brand in the past 3 months!

griphook Mon 29-Oct-12 22:04:44

Have you posted about this before by any chance. I clicked on link thinking it was a thread update

if you haven't posted before there was a thread about a woman who sold a bag to someone and they contacted her to day it was fake, maybe it's the same buyer. Will see if I can find the thread.

ravenAK Mon 29-Oct-12 22:15:50

It's a widespread scam...next thing will be she accuses you of trying to rip her off, so obviously she can't agree to return the bag for a refund... & asks you to meet her to exchange the bag (hoping you will be so discombobulated by all this ultimately you'll just agree to refund her & trust her to return it - whereupon she'll send a fake).

There may be mention of police, trading standards etc.

expatinscotland Mon 29-Oct-12 22:22:26

Unless she's Baba Ganesh, she's selling these bags on or scamming.

LittlePandaBear Wed 07-Nov-12 21:10:30

Update for anyone who's interested...

The buyer returned the bag (after a little ebay message nagging!), and it's definitely the same one I sent her, phew! I refunded her and ebay cancelled the transaction, and refunded my fess.

I googled more details about how to spot fakes of this bag brand for my peace of mind, and mine shows all the signs of being real!

After a little thought, I put it back on ebay, with a few new pictures and more of a description and was clear that it doesn't come with a seriel number, as not all are issued with one. I also put a buy it now price at around 30% higher than the original bid price from the last buyer.

And within about half an hour it has sold as buy it now! Payment received!

So, now I am thinking that I should have put a higher buy it now price. And DH is thinking that I shouldn't get excited until the buyer receives it and is happy with it.

Spoil sport!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now