Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

best way to send something worth over £46

(11 Posts)
suzym1984 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:19:29

Hi,

I have sold an item for £55 (a coat) and was wondering what the best way of sending it is? Royal Mail only insure up to £46 don't they?

Wasnt expecting it to tip £50 :-)

fergoose Mon 29-Oct-12 21:22:14

collect plus or other courier may be cheaper than special delivery

suzym1984 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:23:27

Thanks fergoose, how do I go about arranging a courier?

Sorry to sound so thick!

desperateforaholiday Mon 29-Oct-12 21:29:22

What did you quote on the listing? Just ring any courier company and ask for a quote

suzym1984 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:34:17

I said 1st class as thats my standard way of posting. I didn't think it would go so high in the bidding. I'm over the moon at the extra cash, just unsure about posting a higher value item (most of my things tend to go for much lower!)

Purplehonesty Mon 29-Oct-12 21:35:31

Special delivery. Standard insurance is £2000 I had to send some coins recently and insured them for full amount and it cost me about £6 I think

mamij Mon 29-Oct-12 21:36:47

If you got more than you expected, I would just send by Royal Mail and absorb the extra cost (a couple of extra pounds at most I would've though..?) versus the time and expense of the phone call of a courier.

fergoose Mon 29-Oct-12 21:43:24

you can sort out a courier online, go to Collect Plus or Parcel2Go for an idea of prices.

dizzyday07 Mon 29-Oct-12 23:37:44

With Collect+/Parcel2Go the insurance is normally £20 but you can add extra on so it will take their standard price up a bit

KaraStarbuckThrace Tue 30-Oct-12 07:01:30

Definitely recommend Collect+. They ensure up to £50 (not £20 as stated by previous poste, sorry!) but you can ensure for £100 and it will only cost you an extra £1.
You do need to check that you have a Collect+ store close to you, as you will need to take it there. But personally I find this much more convenient and handy for posting large/bulky items as they will take items up to 10KG.
I reckon it will cost you £5.99 with the insurance to post a cost, SD will cost more because I imagine a coat will be fairly heavy.
collect+ website

dizzyday07 Wed 31-Oct-12 00:36:46

Kara - If you book Collect+ through Parcel2Go (instead of direct) the compensation offered is only £20 as standard.

details here

That's a bit naughty of them!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: