Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

best way to send something worth over £46

(11 Posts)
suzym1984 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:19:29

Hi,

I have sold an item for £55 (a coat) and was wondering what the best way of sending it is? Royal Mail only insure up to £46 don't they?

Wasnt expecting it to tip £50 :-)

fergoose Mon 29-Oct-12 21:22:14

collect plus or other courier may be cheaper than special delivery

suzym1984 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:23:27

Thanks fergoose, how do I go about arranging a courier?

Sorry to sound so thick!

desperateforaholiday Mon 29-Oct-12 21:29:22

What did you quote on the listing? Just ring any courier company and ask for a quote

suzym1984 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:34:17

I said 1st class as thats my standard way of posting. I didn't think it would go so high in the bidding. I'm over the moon at the extra cash, just unsure about posting a higher value item (most of my things tend to go for much lower!)

Purplehonesty Mon 29-Oct-12 21:35:31

Special delivery. Standard insurance is £2000 I had to send some coins recently and insured them for full amount and it cost me about £6 I think

mamij Mon 29-Oct-12 21:36:47

If you got more than you expected, I would just send by Royal Mail and absorb the extra cost (a couple of extra pounds at most I would've though..?) versus the time and expense of the phone call of a courier.

fergoose Mon 29-Oct-12 21:43:24

you can sort out a courier online, go to Collect Plus or Parcel2Go for an idea of prices.

dizzyday07 Mon 29-Oct-12 23:37:44

With Collect+/Parcel2Go the insurance is normally £20 but you can add extra on so it will take their standard price up a bit

KaraStarbuckThrace Tue 30-Oct-12 07:01:30

Definitely recommend Collect+. They ensure up to £50 (not £20 as stated by previous poste, sorry!) but you can ensure for £100 and it will only cost you an extra £1.
You do need to check that you have a Collect+ store close to you, as you will need to take it there. But personally I find this much more convenient and handy for posting large/bulky items as they will take items up to 10KG.
I reckon it will cost you £5.99 with the insurance to post a cost, SD will cost more because I imagine a coat will be fairly heavy.
collect+ website

dizzyday07 Wed 31-Oct-12 00:36:46

Kara - If you book Collect+ through Parcel2Go (instead of direct) the compensation offered is only £20 as standard.

details here

That's a bit naughty of them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now