Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Stating the condition of clothes

(6 Posts)
Fishlegs Mon 29-Oct-12 19:54:21

i've just started selling my children's clothes on ebay. Is there anywhere that summarises the various labels for the condition of clothes - good, very good, immaculate and so on?

I've mostly been describing them as good/very good, but the feedback has been mostly surprise at the 'great' condition, or on one occasion disappointment that it actually wasn't in 'very good condition' after all.

In addition I am trying to list any marks/loose threads etc so that buyers know what they're getting.

TIA

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 29-Oct-12 19:58:03

It's a minefield. I've sold stuff in good condition, barely or once worn and been told its average. Other stuff average and washed a fair few times and been told its excellent.

My advice would be do as you are. Note any snags or marks and take good photos, I find daylight good for getting accurate colours.

tutu100 Mon 29-Oct-12 20:17:12

I'd carry on as you are, I always think it's better to have people feel the item is in better condition than they thought it would be, but you always get one person who will feel it's not as good as you describe it.

It sounds like you are describing things fine.

Fishlegs Mon 29-Oct-12 20:51:20

Thanks for that.

I just wondered if there was some secret code which I was unaware of!

Glad to hear there isn't.

fergoose Mon 29-Oct-12 21:05:10

I don't state the condition at all - lots of photos and measurements. If worn once I will write that, but I think everyone writes worn once tbh

I think it is so subjective, I may think good condition and you may think it is excellent, so I hedge my bets and say nothing. But I won't sell anything which is bobbly, faded, ripped or torn. And if it was it would be clearly stated and photographed

LineRunner Mon 29-Oct-12 21:43:54

When you click on the category in the listing, it does give a definition in the yellow box that pops up. I always err on the side of caution and say 'Used', but in the description might say (if true!) 'Shopping mistake - tried on once and been hanging wardrobe ever since.'

I think with clothes, because you get at least 4 free photos, it's best to do front, back, close up of front/label, and then a close up of any defect.

Then in the description you can say, 'Please see photo 4 for very small defect' and describe the defect. If it's a tiny mark or snag, put a 20p coin next to it for scale, so people can see just how tiny it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now