Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Items arriving in unacceptable condition...

(11 Posts)
Haylebop12 Sat 27-Oct-12 22:33:13

I buy and sell on eBay a fair bit. Mainly dds clothes. So I kinda know how it all works.
I have today received an item of clothing that is used, which I knew it was, but it's pretty filthy. About five different dirty marks.
I have emailed the seller to explain that I will wash it myself but If the marks don't come out I will be returning it as I don't think it's acceptable.
Wwyd?
I wouldn't send an item in that condition and tbh would be pretty embarrassed if I did!

Haylebop12 Sat 27-Oct-12 22:41:13

Anyone? Did I do the right thing?

millymae Sat 27-Oct-12 23:45:41

Depending on how the item was described I would probably have done as you did. Was there any mention of stains? Plenty of sellers point out when items are marked, and in my view there is a difference between used and stained. Would you have bid/bought the item if you knew it had stains on it.

I've bought lots of used items of clothing for my dd, and apart from one they have all been very accurately described by the seller. The one I did return was an absolute disgrace- the seller had described it as being in perfect condition, but when it arrived it was anything but.

My view is that as a buyer you are entirely dependent on sellers describing items accurately and if they don't do that, then you are quite within your rights to ask for your money back. I can't say that my seller was very apologetic for forgetting the mention how washed out the item was and the hole, but after me saying that I was prepared to take the matter further I did get a refund minus the cost of me posting it back.

LineRunner Sun 28-Oct-12 00:13:40

I think you are meant to send it back in the condition you received it - so I'd be a bit wary of washing it, even though that sounds like the sensible thing to do!

Haylebop12 Sun 28-Oct-12 03:50:51

No mention if stains. Just used in good condition so I expected it to be clean at least.
Why would I want dirty clothes :-(

Haylebop12 Sun 28-Oct-12 03:51:13

I think it's just laziness

FaffTastic Sun 28-Oct-12 04:20:37

Yep, I think I would do as you did. Has the seller responded to you yet? I would probably wait until they had before I washed it to see what they say.

fergoose Sun 28-Oct-12 05:25:25

you mustn't wash it - ask the seller for their address to return

it is part of the ebay rules that items are sent out clean.

If no joy open a dispute

Haylebop12 Sun 28-Oct-12 08:21:57

They have responded. They want pictures ASAP as it left there clean! I said fine! They're talking bull. I'm an honest person and I'm not diddling them out of anything. Unfortunately too many dishonest people :-(. They are new to eBay too.
There is marks like general dirty marks caused by food, sitting on dirty bench for example but also the cuffs which are quite black so don't think it's been washed in a few weeks!

AitchDee Sun 28-Oct-12 08:24:19

I'd put it down to 'Buyer Beware' and probably not say anything. But then I'd not buy something unless it was described as 'as new' or 'immaculate, hardly used' etc. I'm extremely fussy and just accept that some people aren't.

Haylebop12 Sun 28-Oct-12 08:30:58

I'm not fussy. I understand items are not going to be perfect but to send out with dirty marks I find unacceptable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now