Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

How to calculate postage for heavy items

(7 Posts)
ptangyangkipperbang Sat 27-Oct-12 16:32:44

I am hoping to put a lot of Happyland/Happystreet on ebay as DS3 has outgrown it. I have just been looking at some listings and am stunned by the postage costs - for example, £7.50 for one item. I'm sure that lots of people are paying more than they would if they bought them new once they take the postage into account.
Is there a way that I can send it all in a big box via a Courier? So few sellers seem to do this that it made me wonder if there was a problem with it. If I put buyer collects I'm obviously reducing the number of potential bidders or do lots of buyers prefer this?
Any advice would be gratefully received - thanks.

ListenToYourHeart Sat 27-Oct-12 16:39:43

I'm currently watching some happyland items on eBay and I'm slightly put off by the postage but at the same time understand that it's expensive to post heavier items.

I am at the point in thinking that if the bidding gets too high I'm better off going and buying it new but some of the items ain't at my local mothercare therefore I would be happy to pay nearly the same price as new if that makes sense.

Sorry that probably ain't much help blush

lljkk Sat 27-Oct-12 16:41:45

How big & how heavy would the box be?

ptangyangkipperbang Sat 27-Oct-12 16:44:28

I haven't weighed it yet but there must be about 50 pieces of track and road for starters. On ebay a smaller pile than mine has a £20 postage charge!

lljkk Sat 27-Oct-12 16:49:52

Any courier will want fairly precise weight & measurements. Do you have decent kitchen scales that go up to 2 or 3 kg?

Find a suitable box (smallest possible), weigh components separately (box & bits) if you have to, to get a total, add 10% for tape & bubblewrap & scale error. Try the usual websites (like myhermes.co.uk) to get a delivery quote. Note that they quote without VAT, initially, and default insurance value may be below what you need.

ptangyangkipperbang Sat 27-Oct-12 16:54:27

Thanks v much lljkk. I'll do all that later this evening. I just couldn't understand why so few sellers used Couriers.

DorisIsWaiting Sun 28-Oct-12 07:43:53

Also look at collect plus as they will take heavier items for not that much (size dependant!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now