Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer offering a lot more money than Buy It Now price...scam?

(7 Posts)
Spaceships Thu 25-Oct-12 10:15:06

Hi all. I am a new-ish eBay seller with a feedback score of 100+ which is mostly from buying. I have listed my iPhone 4S for sale at £300 buy it now but have received this email this morning. Is this a scam? I haven't been around long enough to know all the different scamming types but seems a bit fishy...

Dear xxxxxxxx,

want to buy this item as a gift. I'm offering you £450.00 GBP including shipping outside the UK and I'm willing to send payment via PayPal. Get back to me with your full name and PayPal email if that works for you. I will transfer the money into your account ASAP.

TIA x

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 25-Oct-12 10:16:31

Scam - sorry. Forward it unchanged to spoof@ebay.com and don't reply, you can delete it after that.

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 25-Oct-12 10:16:54

and well done for having your radar on form! smile

Spaceships Thu 25-Oct-12 10:22:02

Thanks for speedy response! smile

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 25-Oct-12 10:27:09

No worries...also if you haven't got your listing set to UK biders only, go in and change it now.

I hate to say it but selling high demand stuff like i phones etc on ebay is fraught with this type of scam, it can make it very hard work!

Never agree to send overseas - that goes for anything worth a bit, laptops, phones, etc etc. Clothes or toys is Ok, you know, run of the mill items of low value.

But anything over a certain amount can get complicated very easily.

fergoose Thu 25-Oct-12 10:33:26

scam - whatever you do make sure you send it via courier with adequate insurance. Phones are the most likely thing to be scammed on eBay I reckon

and have a read of this

cgi3.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=**peaseblossom**

fergoose Thu 25-Oct-12 10:34:15

oh and if someone wants to collect - cash only, never, ever take Paypal for that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now