Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Bought coat on Ebay - it SMELLS!

(4 Posts)
Tarka Wed 24-Oct-12 14:47:22

Hi - advice needed please. Just bought a coat on Ebay - received it and it STINKS to high heaven of really really bad body odour. So much so that after trying it on, my own clothes stank.

It also has about three stains on the front. These were mentioned, but massively played down compared to what they are (no photos were shown of the stains). also -and this is trivial, I know, but there is a button missing at the top which wasn't mentioned at all. The buttons are quite unusual so would be tricky to replace.

I knew it had been worn before, but am I being naive to think that people would send stuff that was at least NOT STINKY? Is there anything I can do about it? I paid a fair bit for it tbh,(and I do like the coat).

fergoose Wed 24-Oct-12 14:48:43

yes you can complain. It is disgusting that someone would send something out in that condition. Plus it is against the rules!

The seller should either offer to pay for cleaning or accept it back for a full refund of all of your costs.

stripeytiger Wed 24-Oct-12 15:00:42

Tarka, that's awful. Can't believe someone would think it is ok to sell something in that condition. Can I be nosey and ask what you paid, not that it should make any difference. I bought a couple of pairs of blacks leggings on Ebay about a year ago and they came covered in animal hair and smelt of damp. I only paid a couple of quid for both so I did not complain and because every other aspect of the transaction was ok I still left the seller positive feedback (yes I know I'm a complete mug). It took at least 4 or 5 washes to get rid of the smell and hair!
In your case though I really would complain, not mentioning the missing button is also thoughtless and asking for trouble.

Tarka Thu 25-Oct-12 05:52:38

Fergoose - thanks - I've sent the seller an email asking for her to refund me for dry-cleaning (I'll post her the receipt), I'll hold off giving feedback until then.
Stripeytiger - I paid £45 - so not a fortune, but too much given the state it was in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now