Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

item not as described at all - what do i do>

(48 Posts)
OnlyWantsOne Tue 23-Oct-12 13:43:59

I bought some little lamb nappies (infact ive been buying LOTS of pre loved nappies recently) for my 8 week old

they've arrived and the elastics have gone in them all, around the waist & legs, making them fairly useless, they wont contain any thing like that. The seller said they had some marks on them from washing them with a dark sock - but infact, they are all hidiously grey and the wraps are completely fucked, I spent over £40 - seller says they dont except returns

Im gutted as buying reusables to try and SAVE some money... i cant afford to waist this money and there is no way I can use them, or sell them on.,...

ive sent the seller a polite note, but Ebay says that the seller doesnt except returns,

what is likely to happen?

januaryjojo Tue 23-Oct-12 13:49:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

libelulle Tue 23-Oct-12 13:56:47

They can't just decide not to accept returns if the item is not as described! The not accepting returns thing is only if you change your mind - not in this case. Otherwise a seller could claim to sell laptops, send buyers a picture of a banana instead and refuse to accept it back, telling you they don't accept returnssmile

Ask for a refund and if they refuse, then open a case.

fergoose Tue 23-Oct-12 13:57:03

the seller stating they don't accept returns is utterly meaningless so ignore that bit

also do they have other used nappies listed - you can report them and eBay will remove the listings as used nappies are not permitted any more on eBay.

OnlyWantsOne Tue 23-Oct-12 13:59:23

just looked through sellers other items recently sold and there was another batch of littlelamb nappies - an they have used the same photo for both listings,

which mean the photo that i saw, shows white fluffy NEW nappies, and ive recieved the opposite sad

fergoose Tue 23-Oct-12 14:00:10

ok - how long ago did you message the seller - I would give 48 hours, and if no reply get your not as described case opened.

OnlyWantsOne Tue 23-Oct-12 14:04:31

oh, seems she bought the nappies herself (have looked back through her feedback left for others)

she clearly didnt want them, and has sold them on for a profit

what a bloody pain in the arse

OnlyWantsOne Tue 23-Oct-12 14:24:05

I sent

"Hi,

The parcel arrived, firstly - thank you so much for sending it out so promptly that was really kind of you. However, I've opened & had a look at the nappies and I dont feel you have been entirely honest in your description. Most of the nappies' elastic is completely gone - therefore are no longer useable as they wont be fit for purpose.
Also, the wraps - are really grey and bobbled - you didnt mention this in your advert. I really feel I have paid a lot of money for some items I can't use.

Can you see a way we can resolve this situation?

Kindest regards"

shes replied

"Hi
I did mention the discolouration in my description. I made it very clear they were used and hense my starting price of 99p

I was not aware the elastic had gone in any of them. I therefore cannot believe I would not have noticed had it gone in most of them?
Perhaps you can return the nappies whose elastic has gone and we can then review the situation.
The boosters and outer wraps were in good usable condition also.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Incidentally the postage was a lot more than I asked for as I was simply pleased to pass them on so kept it low at almost half of what I priced them as they cost me over £11 to send"

unexpectediteminbaggingarea Tue 23-Oct-12 14:48:02

right, stop being so nice. She's sold something that's not usable. The colour thing could be argued because she did mention it in her listing, although obviously not very clearly. The real problem is that the elastic is gone. What does she mean 'review the situation?' Her have a look at them and decide they're ok? It sounds like she's trying to break it all down into parts, but you bought them all together so if one part's not good enough then the whole deal's off imo.

It's not your fault that she undercharged for postage (having done so myself as a seller it's just something you have to suck up). Personally I would go through ebay.

impty Tue 23-Oct-12 14:59:06

Open a not as described case.
Then be prepared to return all of it and she should refund. You may have to pay the return postage as the seller cannot be forced to pay for this. You should get the outward postage back as well as the final price you paid.
I suspect telling you how much it costs to post the items is designed to put you off taking it further.
If you do return make sure it's trackable. Good luck!

OnlyWantsOne Tue 23-Oct-12 15:00:48

what should i say to her now then?

Ive gt two kids off school with hand foot and mouth, having had no sleep at all... plus a tiny baby , i could do without this shit

HowlingOScara Tue 23-Oct-12 15:05:32

Don't say anything. Open the Item significantly not as described case and be prepared to return the nappies by a trackable postage service at your own expense.

SoulTrain Tue 23-Oct-12 15:05:39

Say you would prefer to resolve the issue through the proper EBay process and then open an item not as described case as previously suggested.

Sossiges Tue 23-Oct-12 15:06:55

I wouldn't bother writing back to her again as she's obviously not taking it seriously. Just open a case with ebay. You might be able to send them back fairly cheaply by courier (have a look on parcel2go.com) & keep some kind of proof that you have sent them.

Aspiemum2 Tue 23-Oct-12 15:07:59

Her postage costs aren't your concern, I have undercharged and over charged in the past and with the former I've had to just take the hit whilst with the latter I refund the difference. My feedback is important to me!

As pp said, don't be so nice. Goods aren't as described so you want a full refund. That's it, no quibbles. You will lose out on return p&p but check out the couriers, they may be cheaper than rm. if she won't agree open a dispute.

OnlyWantsOne Tue 23-Oct-12 15:10:12

have opened a case sad

what happens now?

fergoose Tue 23-Oct-12 15:13:20

you can escalate the case in 8 days - have them ready to send back, courier may be cheapest. then give eBay the tracking info to prove they have been sent and they will refund

Do not close the case before you get your money back - and I would ignore any of the sellers emails from now on

Then you can leave appropriate feedback and stars

OnlyWantsOne Tue 23-Oct-12 17:33:36

she has replied saying

"Hello
I would like to resolve this as soon as possible and I am sorry you do not feel I have been completely honest in my description as I feel I was.

Therefore I would be happy to reimburse you £27.00 and you can keep the whole item without returning any of tthem to me, in which case you can use the nappies which you feel are usable plus the wraps and boosters.
If I ask you to return the item I will have had to pay £22 in postage and as a single mum this is a lot for me.

Would you be happy with this arrangement?"

now i feel really bad sad

OnlyWantsOne Tue 23-Oct-12 17:34:12

I paid £37 +£6 postage

impty Tue 23-Oct-12 17:40:09

Would you feel happy with that? Or would you prefer it all back and no items?

OnlyWantsOne Tue 23-Oct-12 17:41:44

Not sure, i was just so shocked at the state of it all, i will have a good look tonight at it all and work it out - im aghast that some one thought that grey crunchie nappies with no elastic in and velcro that doesnt work were worth selling!!

ZombieTribble Tue 23-Oct-12 17:49:31

How many did you buy? You can buy new little lambs for crazy prices when they have their offers on.

Sorry if that's a bit of a tangent.

fergoose Tue 23-Oct-12 17:50:00

single mum and postage is irrelevant

would you go into a shop and hand over the cash you have paid for the item? Even after her partial refund would you consider what you have to be worth what you paid? If not return for a full refund. Don't feel sorry for a seller who lies in their description and sends you dross and then tries to make you feel guilty. You have done nothing wrong by complaining or wanting value for your money!

OnlyWantsOne Tue 23-Oct-12 22:59:36

Just been through the parcel. There isn't one nappy that has full set of working elastics ( either waist or leg ) and te boosters in them clearly aren't the ones that would have come with the nappies. The nappies are also mix and matched - like they haven't all been washed together. Perhaps she's even buying up bundles of nappies and these are all the ones she doesn't want from the bundles. The adver says mix of cotton & micro fleece. Well they are all crunchy cotton apart from one micro fleece. That doesn't seem like much of a mix for me! Shall be asking for a full refund. I feel bad about it though

Sossiges Tue 23-Oct-12 23:14:37

Don't feel bad about it, why should you? All you have to go on when buying on ebay is the description and photos, if these are incorrect or misleading, it's the seller's fault not yours. Plus a good seller would give you a full refund without bargaining with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now