Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is this buyer pushing his luck?!

(12 Posts)
laptopcomputer Mon 22-Oct-12 07:48:07

Help, I am new to selling on Ebay! I have some things on there at the mo, collectors items. One buyer kept bidding and then his bid would disappear (I didn't even know you could do this?) Then I had a message from him saying would I accept a postal order. DH pointed out I only had 9 transactions on my account so perhaps he didn't trust me, so I sent a nice reply saying yes no problem. Then he put in a large bid and sent a message saying would it be ok if he paid in about 5 weeks as he wouldn't have any money until nearer Xmas, so I said sorry but no, please don't bid if you don't have the money etc etc. His large bid disappeared. Now he has started bidding again and sent yet another message saying he has been to the bank and gots lots of money but can't get to the Post office so is it ok to send the postal order in about 10 days time?! He keeps putting in small bids which disappear about half an hour later. He has an otherwise good rating but is starting to annoy me. Would I be unreasonable to say no, I want the money staraight away, or is what he is doing common practice on Ebay? Auction finishes tomorrow evening, was a 10 day one.

FannyFifer Mon 22-Oct-12 07:50:09

Just say sorry PayPal only.

Bugger that for a carry on.

girlbehind Mon 22-Oct-12 07:53:20

There's a facility to block individuals from buying from you on eBay, and I'd seriously consider adding him to my list. Not come across this sort of thing, but it would really irritate me too.

regnamechange Mon 22-Oct-12 07:54:41

Block him!

picnicbasketcase Mon 22-Oct-12 07:56:35

Put him on your blocked sellers list and ignore any further messages.

VintageRainBoots Mon 22-Oct-12 07:57:16

I had one bidder like that. Long story short: I ended up having to re-list the item because he never paid.

As Fanny said, tell him "PayPal only" and add to your item description something to the effect of "I expect full payment within 48 hours of end of auction" so that all bidders are aware of your terms.

SpottyTeacakes Mon 22-Oct-12 07:59:01

I'd block him too

laptopcomputer Mon 22-Oct-12 08:31:51

Thanks all. Just wanted to make sure I was not being unreasonable smile

fergoose Mon 22-Oct-12 10:13:17

the postal order itself isn't a problem, but him expecting you to wait weeks for the money is

I agree - add him to your blocked bidder list.

laptopcomputer Mon 22-Oct-12 12:58:02

Ok, how do I block him?! I am looking at his profile, can't see where to go to to block? thanks.

laptopcomputer Mon 22-Oct-12 13:00:13

And does Ebay etiquette state I should tell him I am going to block him?! Or do I jut do it...?

laptopcomputer Mon 22-Oct-12 13:11:52

It's ok, I've found it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now