Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

First unhappy buyer

(10 Posts)
impty Sun 21-Oct-12 15:22:32

Got a message from an unhappy buyer (feedback score 1). So I'm guessing the buyer is new to eBay.
Anyway trying to remain professional, and not take it personally, I have replied that as she is unhappy I will happily refund her the full amount she paid incl p&p, as soon as I receive the item back.
This is right isn't it?
I haven't offered to pay for the return postage- do I have to?

lljkk Sun 21-Oct-12 16:27:18

Why is she unhappy? What did it sell for?

LineRunner Sun 21-Oct-12 16:29:07

No, you don't have to pay, although if you have made a mistake and sent out an item with a defect (it happens sometimes) then I would offer to pay her return postage as a goodwill gesture. She should send it back tracked, also.

If she's just being a pain in the arse, then you don't have to pay her return postage.

It's one of the most difficult judgement calls, IME.

impty Sun 21-Oct-12 16:39:04

Used leather handbag...buyer feels its 'old' and is disappointed.
So it isn't very clear cut. Item was £5.19 +£3.50 p&p. So not expensive.

LineRunner Sun 21-Oct-12 16:43:26

If you are happy with your description and photos(s), then I would let her return it, but she should pay the return postage.

impty Sun 21-Oct-12 16:47:23

Thanks. I am happy with the description, and the photos. Just bit disappointed buyer is disappointed iyswim?

LineRunner Sun 21-Oct-12 16:49:13

I do know what you mean. I had one once that I was sure was 'disappointed' in the sense of 'give me money to make me feel better'.

Don't forget to block her from bidding again.

impty Tue 23-Oct-12 17:46:40

So after waiting 3 days to say didn't like the item, and after i offered a refund on return, waited another 2 days to say yes I'll take that. I gave in and just refunded her and told her to keep the item.
Mostly because life is too short and its only something that's been in a drawer unused for a while, not an expensive item.
So that's why I'll never be business woman of the year!
Am now awaiting the neg feedback...

LineRunner Tue 23-Oct-12 17:53:22

You can apparently now Report A Buyer during the feedback stages!

impty Tue 23-Oct-12 17:59:56

Well that might be a bit harsh for this one but not the non payers! Going to look at that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now