Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Can a buyer still charge me postage even if I collect the item?

(11 Posts)
purpleflower123 Wed 17-Oct-12 11:15:40

Won an item local to me last night and emailed her to ask if I could collect. She's replied that I can but as she gets a free postage code off of her boyfriend she would need to charge me the postage too (£10) the item did go very cheap for what it is but I think she's taking the piss. Am I just going to have to pay her or refuse or try to haggle?

PrincessPumpkinshoutsBOO Wed 17-Oct-12 11:17:31

No, you don't pay postage if you are collecting, not at all, the seller is not posting so you are just giving money for nothing.

purpleflower123 Wed 17-Oct-12 11:28:12

That's what I thought but I don't know how to word the response, especially as I think it may be my brothers ex girlfriend I won them from sad Even if I did pay the postage it would still be cheap for the item but I don't think its fair. I'm thinking to meet her in the middle and offer her £5.

fergoose Wed 17-Oct-12 11:40:38

no you mustn't pay her a penny postage - why would you pay £5 for a service that isn't being offered? She is breaking the rules. Just say that as you are collecting you will not be paying any P&P for the item - end of.

HecateLarpo Wed 17-Oct-12 11:45:38

No. You don't pay postage. She's just trying to get more money for it.

If she's charging you postage - tell her to post it!

I always contact the seller before bidding and ask if collection is ok. I wouldn't collect and still pay postage.

That's just them doing fee avoidance.

i would seriously say ok, never mind then, just post it. Thanks.

purpleflower123 Wed 17-Oct-12 11:46:47

The listing doesn't actually say that she accepts pick up though so she could refuse pick up and charge me the full £10 to post them. I thought by offering her half it helps both of us.

purpleflower123 Wed 17-Oct-12 11:49:28

Ok, I'll have a think about it before I reply to her.

Thank you all for your help, especially as I messed up the title and put buyer rather than seller!

fergoose Wed 17-Oct-12 12:10:19

also she said she had a voucher for postage - so what does that mean, she can post it for free but still charge you a tenner? - how greedy is that - plus the fee avoidance issue too.

MrsZoidberg Wed 17-Oct-12 18:07:08

I had someone collect from me today, and actually gave her money off as it's an item I offer Free Delivery on.

LineRunner Wed 17-Oct-12 18:51:43

I agree with the others above. However as she doesn't actually list Collect in Person, I think you are probably right to offer her a few quid.

Is the item something that will need packaging for transportation? She can reasonably charge you what that costs, i.e. bubble wrap, proper boxes; or, alternatively, get a bit snitty and refuse to package it at all and stick it on the doorstep in front of you for you to deal with.

Some people just don't want anyone to Collect in Person from them at all, and prefer to post at their own convenience, at arm's length. Many people are very private, or extremely security conscious, or just don't like the inconvenience of having to be in and available at a particular time. I only allow Collections in Person when I know that there are going to be others quite obviously in the house, and I have a small front room just off the front door where people can look at and pick up the item. Not everyone can do this.

bookmuncher Sat 20-Oct-12 11:48:47

If something is local I aways ask first if I can collect after making that mistake a few years ago where a local seller was rather rude about me wanting to collect.

Basically a seller adds extra postage to make more profit on the item as FFV is only on winning bid not on postage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now