Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is this common? Offers via private message

(4 Posts)
EauRouge Tue 16-Oct-12 15:09:35

I don't often sell on ebay, and things like this is why! I listed a few items at the weekend; they all have several watchers and one has a bid on at 99p. There are still 7 days to go on all the auctions.

I got a private message from someone (not the bidder) offering me an amount for two items. I declined, even though it seemed like a good amount, because I didn't think it was fair to the person that was bidding but I did offer combined postage if she won both items.

Am I being totally naive? Is it the done thing to end auctions if you get an offer by private message? It just doesn't seem to be what ebay is all about.

sarahtigh Tue 16-Oct-12 15:18:13

if there was not a bid I would be happy enough to end items, I do not normally end items once bids as I agree not fair on bidder

nothing wrong in making offer by message to change to BIN at certain price often if good price it is because someone wants it now not in 7 days, occasionally its because its under valued or they suspect seller does not know real value and they want to snaffle bargain beore everyone else finds out

it is against ebay rules and spirit of ebay to end auction with bidders though you can end auction and sell to highest bidder at any time within ebay rules, nothing wrong with changing to BIN for a decent offe bird in hand worth 2 in bush etc

fergoose Tue 16-Oct-12 16:11:27

you are allowed to cancel bids and add a buy it now price if you want to

EauRouge Tue 16-Oct-12 17:36:11

Thanks, I wasn't sure how it worked if there were already bids. I think I'll just leave it, I'm just having a clear out and not really fussed how much I make.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now