Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Pay by Paypal for a collection only item?

(7 Posts)
Disappointedbuyer Mon 15-Oct-12 13:22:12

There is an item I would like to bid on which specifies Paypal only before collection. I suppose it is to avoid no-shows for collection but I am uneasy about it. What is to stop me paying for it and then the seller not letting me collect it? Should I bid or wait for another one to come up? It is ending within the next 20 minutes so I need to decide fast!

fergoose Mon 15-Oct-12 13:28:09

no - the seller is really very silly, you could pay by paypal, collect the item and then claim not received and get all your money refunded by claiming item not received

Tell the seller they are leaving themselves wide open to being scammed and should only take cash for collected items.

Disappointedbuyer Mon 15-Oct-12 13:44:47

Yes, that's it, they could be scammed as well.

Disappointedbuyer Mon 15-Oct-12 13:52:15

Sorry, I forgot to say thank you! I was watching the item in my other window! I didn't bid in the end. I'm sure another one will come up soon.

HardHittingLeafletCampaign Mon 15-Oct-12 16:45:05

But as a seller how do you do this? I've just listed an expensive collection only item and it's not allowing me to specify cash, it's forcing PayPal as an option. How could I stop someone paying via PayPal? Sorry for the hijack but seems relevant!

fergoose Mon 15-Oct-12 17:35:53

you just write cash on collection only in the listing and if they do pay by paypal refund their payment via paypal and ask for cash.

eBay won't let you remove paypal as they own the company and want the fees, they are v irresponsible to not warn sellers of the pitfalls.

HardHittingLeafletCampaign Mon 15-Oct-12 20:09:57

Thanks, I will amend the listing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now