Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Help me say no to a return?

(18 Posts)
GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Sun 14-Oct-12 23:55:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mellen Sun 14-Oct-12 23:59:50

I don't think that you can say no?

mellen Mon 15-Oct-12 00:10:22

What I mean is that you can, but then she will open a dispute with ebay, who are very weighted towards the buyer.

toddlerama Mon 15-Oct-12 00:14:30

The one time I out my foot down and refused a return, eBay refunded the buyer. So I had no money and no item. I hate it so much but I've just listed a load more stuff because what else am I going to do? A freezing car boot sale?? grin

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Mon 15-Oct-12 00:21:30

lljkk Mon 15-Oct-12 08:16:33

How much did you sell it for? I think tactics depends on amounts.

I had similar with a coat for DD, but after Ebay cut & P+P it was only worth £2, so I just refunded (& blocked the buyer forever more).

Chocoholiday Mon 15-Oct-12 08:21:53

I'd offer a partial refund to cover dry cleaning - you should have checked that it was clean or mentioned grubby neck. It's not your fault if it doesn't fit her. However, she obviously isn't happy with it, and you could risk negative feedback. So another option is to offer a refund on condition that she covers return postage, and then clean the coat and relist it as "Comes up small". You might get more next time!

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Mon 15-Oct-12 10:42:52

MiniTheMinx Mon 15-Oct-12 15:13:04

You are almost better to have a returns policy and accept returns on a no quibble basis. The emphasis should always be on the seller then to return at their cost unless the item is faulty or mis-sold.

If you offer partial refunds and do not insist the item be returned you can be sure that these people will continue to masquerade around ebay demanding partial refunds for items they are unwilling to return......because nothing is wrong with the item.....they just want some money back. More of this is happening now because people want to buy but people have less money.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Mon 15-Oct-12 17:52:33

fergoose Mon 15-Oct-12 18:17:45

if a buyer opens a not as described dispute with eBay they will get all their money back, not just the item cost

MiniTheMinx Mon 15-Oct-12 18:35:32

Which is why it is better to give a no quibble returns policy and trust that people take you up on it rather than raising a dispute through ebay, which is time consuming and costly because you would have to refund all costs, sometimes ebay refund without the customer being made to return the item, which in effect just gives buyers carte blanch to complain in order to keep the product and also get their money back.

sarahtigh Tue 16-Oct-12 15:29:30

but if you offer a return policy which says is item broken damaged you will pay return postage

but if they just change mind or does not fit you will refund item cost but not postage which is very reasonable for private seller but no returns means nothing, much better a return than a not as described case

if they really want to return best to let them, and say that as no fault with item you will refund item cost but not postage as you did not make a mistake if it works great , if not then you are in same place as before refunding original costs plus postage ebay does not make you pay return postage

( if something breaks or is damaged in transit I tell a buyer if they send decent pictures of break or whatever no need for return) I also stipulate if I do pay return postage that it is only what I paid to send so if it cost me £2.20 to send second class that is wehat i will pay if they wish to return 1st class signed for they can but I will not pay the extra which again is very reasonable as a business seller i think very few people return stuff for no reason

you can not make rules to cover against those with no scruples that misuse either buyer or seller protection

lljkk Tue 16-Oct-12 16:18:36

How can buyer be happy with a no-quibble returns policy which doesn't cover postage, though, when so many items go for less than the price of one-way postage? They'll just end up whinging about postage not being covered and raising a dispute that way.

I can almost understand no quibbles on returns for higher value items.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Wed 17-Oct-12 10:09:30

mellen Wed 17-Oct-12 10:34:22

She will tell ebay that it is not as described and dirty. Ebay tend to side with the buyer.

qo Wed 17-Oct-12 10:42:35

I had proof of postage once and Ebay STILL sided with the buyer who said she hadn't received it

sarahtigh Thu 18-Oct-12 14:36:21

proof of postage is not proof of delivery

my advice accept return its a pain but just do it she will win a case with ebay sorry she should not but she will

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now