Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Exprienced sellers please tell me why all the watchers?

(22 Posts)
ontheedgeofwhatever Sun 14-Oct-12 08:52:14

One of my items has 33 watchers but only 3 bids. What can I expect with this many watchers? Most of my items have 1 or 2, a few have 7-10 but this one seems to be generating a lot of interest but very few bids. Its an old snow suit and not even in perfect condition - the auction quite clearly points out the problems

Its still got 4 days to go as well. Is there going to be some kind of bidding war at the end? she asks hopefully

ValiumQueen Sun 14-Oct-12 08:55:33

People watch for a variety of reasons, not just because they are thinking of buying. They could be thinking of listing a similar item, for example. 3 bids with 4 days to go is good I would say. There is no way to predict how an item will sell.

fergoose Sun 14-Oct-12 10:26:17

lots of watchers can mean no bidding flurry at the end at all - it is impossible to say. Is difficult not to get your hopes up with lots of watchers though.

I put things in my watch list in eBay when I have no intention of buying and will buy elsewhere but it serves as a reminder - virtual shopping list all in one place (but that is probably just me who does that).

BikeRunSki Sun 14-Oct-12 10:33:16

At this time of year people who want to buy a snowsuit on eBay are probably watching several. Doesn't mean that any will actually bid, especially if they win one on the' Sunday evening Golden Hour'. Most of the stuff I list, or buy, finishes on Sunday evening, but I often watch stuff that finishes at other times as a back up.

delllie Sun 14-Oct-12 10:35:58

Sometimes I may watch something if I have a similar item to sell, to get a guide of how much it may go for, or I may watch something that I am interested in buying and completely forget about it until after the auction has finished...

NotGeoffVader Sun 14-Oct-12 10:42:29

I'm not an experienced seller but I do have quite a lot of items I'm watching. A couple of them are things I'm interested in, but I don't want to bid yet, as currently the price is within my range - I'll likely put in a bid nearer closing time and hope that I get in with 'last dibs'.
I am also watching a couple of furniture items as I have something similar to sell and want to see if they go or not for the price asked.

ChablisLover Sun 14-Oct-12 11:00:46

I've had lots of watchers on one item I sold this morning and lots I views but only got one bid

I watch lots of things to see what prices they make and to see if I can get a deal

But at the mo, what I want everyone wants and it's driving prices up!

ontheedgeofwhatever Sun 14-Oct-12 22:04:04

Thank you, I definitely need my expectations managed. I am getting far too optimistic. My humble snow suit now has 40 watchers. I hope that some of them at least plan to bid but if they don't at least I'll get something for it grin

Still only 3 bid though. Ebaying is an odd experience

halloweeneyqueeney Sun 14-Oct-12 22:09:44

I watch if big items that are too far for me to collect so that I get a good idea of price for if the item comes up nearby or on my local gumtree, I have no intention of bidding on those items

If there's something I really want that a few people are selling, I'll bid on the ending soonest one, and watch the others (sometimes up to 10), If I get outbid on the first then instead of upping my bid I'll bid on the next soonest

I bid on maybe 10% of the things I watch

halloweeneyqueeney Sun 14-Oct-12 22:10:24

also watch stuff that I'M going to sell at a nearly new to get an idea of price

blueshoes Sun 14-Oct-12 22:42:44

With 40 watchers, there is a very good chance the price will go up towards the end of the auction smile

Floralnomad Sun 14-Oct-12 22:45:11

I had 125 watchers on a car I was selling and absolutely no bids , hence watchers mean nothing at all

sarahtigh Sun 14-Oct-12 23:36:58

in general terms the more watchers the more likely to sell but there are always exceptions sometimes things with one watcher sell in last few seconds but only for start price, some may wait till end to bid ( in fact most do)

cars are different as it will be watched by every car dealer on ebay

some watch so if it does not sell they will offer you less than starting price as maybe to them it was overpriced

i would say the vast majority of the time items with more than 7 watchers sellmore than 12 watchers and you should get above starting price
1-2 watchers means nothing, most people do not bid early ( those that do think it is under priced and to stop you adding BIN) this is particularly true of rare / unusual items which they suspect seller does not know value of

unusual rare items attract more watchers than average

ontheedgeofwhatever Mon 15-Oct-12 13:56:19

Thank you.

Well I now have 48 watchers and a request to ship to Slovakia (I am not shipping to Slovakia I suspect that way madness lies grin

bookmuncher Sat 20-Oct-12 11:58:18

Lol - I always find that when I go to the hassle of finding postage abroad they NEVER buy!

As for lots of watchers - I watch a lot of items. If im looking to buy something I will watch several for a guide price before i bid. If it's something I really want I will bid at the end. I find its usually bidders with low feedback that bid earlier on in the auction. I currently have 7 items listed that have around 30 watchers between and no bids. I now don't even get concerned until after the auctions over and it didn't sell then I will look at the start price and adjust that or retake pictures and look at the wording again etc. I also will watch a few of the items I want to send to gauge postage prices and final selling prices as a guide.

alemci Sat 20-Oct-12 12:07:12

I think it doesn't seem as good as it used to be to sell things. I always start things low say 99p or £1.99. Perhaps i am selling rubbish but if it was I wouldn't even list it tbh.

Toppy Sat 20-Oct-12 23:19:42

what did it go for ?? what did it go for ????????

ontheedgeofwhatever Sun 21-Oct-12 11:04:18

£37.15. There was a bidding war towards the end between 2 buyers

Really really pleased smile Wish I had a few more of them hanging about

Oh and it got up to 64 watchers by the last day

blueshoes Sun 21-Oct-12 12:40:07

Well done!

Toppy Mon 22-Oct-12 22:27:36

woo hoo - well done

gaelicsheep Mon 22-Oct-12 22:38:45

I watch things quite often to see how much they go for/is they sell. Sometimes I watch things in case I decide to bid, but then usually don't get around to it. Probably a lot of them also have an old snow suit to sell.

Glad it sold for you though, and for a good price. But why oh why do people continue to bid so early?

gaelicsheep Mon 22-Oct-12 22:44:04

Just read sarahtigh's post - very interesting, I didn't know a seller could add BIN later on. I'd always assumed people bidding early are just a bit dim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now