Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

One of my biddershas auction fever

(18 Posts)
ontheedgeofwhatever Fri 12-Oct-12 16:38:12

They've bid an item up far higher I think its worth. You could actually get a new one for half what they've bid and they still have postage to pay.

Anyone else had this happen to them? I actually feel guilty but I suppose its their choice confused

MrsVamoOOOOOs Fri 12-Oct-12 16:42:06

Some people are funny. I've seen things, where there are lots similar available, or the same item, and people will just keep whacking the bids up.

It may not be worth much to you, but a lot to the bidder. One person's rubbish is another's treasure, so to speak ?

I was checking out a potential Christmas present earlier, for my DCs and am amazed at what some are going for, yet you can get them much cheaper in the shops, new !

I think sometimes it becomes a battle too. You can imagine the bidders sitting there, getting auction fever thinking "I'm gonna WIN this, whatever the cost" !

ontheedgeofwhatever Fri 12-Oct-12 16:46:02

Well its good for me. Its one of my old books i thought I may get a fiver for but they've bid it up to £26 shock

Am wondering if there's something I don't know about the book in question (an old chalet school book). Either way I'm happy

notso Fri 12-Oct-12 16:48:39

I have had this as well at the moment, they haven't paid yet so maybe they'll back out.
I kept reading through my listing incase I'd made a mistake with it!

teedeeuk Fri 12-Oct-12 16:49:27

ontheedge - Chalet School books are VERY collectible!

MrsVamoOOOOOs Fri 12-Oct-12 16:50:50

smile

Enjoy whatever you get for it. It all helps, doesn't it ?

sleepyhead Fri 12-Oct-12 16:51:22

They maybe need that particular edition/cover for some reason.

My mum's friend wanted a particular Ladybird book that had been her husband's favourite as a child as part of a birthday present. It cost her about £60 to get the exact one he remembered, despite the fact that she could have had the same text from 20 years later for 50p.

Some people have more money than sense grin

ontheedgeofwhatever Fri 12-Oct-12 16:53:43

Tee that is good to know. I have about 40 of them upstairs grin

teedeeuk Fri 12-Oct-12 17:59:05

Really? wow you could make some excellent money then grin

happierhigherstrongerwheezing Fri 12-Oct-12 18:02:37

God, my mil has all the ladybird books, she never throws anything out.

Was looking at a book about Prince Henry the other day.

katcatkat Fri 12-Oct-12 18:04:44

Many of the chalet school books are out of print an worth alot of money

MirandaWest Fri 12-Oct-12 18:04:59

Which chalet school book is it? If you've got hardbacks some of rhem could be worth a nice amount smile

PotteringAlong Fri 12-Oct-12 18:05:10

I've got all but 3 chalet school books in the loft. I might l

PotteringAlong Fri 12-Oct-12 18:05:26

Ook them out!

Northernlurkerisbehindyouboo Fri 12-Oct-12 18:10:31

Which chalet school and which edition?

Northernlurkerisbehindyouboo Fri 12-Oct-12 18:13:18

Ah found you. £26 is a actually a fair price for the rarer re-prints. I have Jo to the Rescue already in an ancient version.

Did you know that the original hardbacks go for multiple 100s sometimes?

ontheedgeofwhatever Fri 12-Oct-12 19:38:33

Sorry Northernlurker was supervising bathtime.

I knew it was rare as these things go but thought five - ten pounds would be plenty!! Very pleased smile Feel less guilty now.

Wish I had the hardbacks

ontheedgeofwhatever Fri 12-Oct-12 19:40:03

Prefects just went for £6.50 - not quite so good but still worth having smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now