Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

WIBU to leave neutral feedback? Buyer has sent a message :-/

(19 Posts)
CelineMcBean Wed 03-Oct-12 14:04:11

I bought 2 items from same seller. The more expensive item had free postage, the other had a small postage charge (large letter money). I sent a polite message requesting a combined invoice and that if it was possible to send the items together to please do so and waive the second postage charge unless it would cost more to post then the free postage item would cost any way or if it wasn't possible to do because they were packaged separately.

I sell a bit too and if someone bought two items and i sent together I would combine postage, unless it made it more expensive - then i'd contact buyer, explain and charge the actual extra if less than original postage or original postage if same or more. If I didn't send together I would do separate postage. Regardless I would reply to a message from the buyer and explain.

The seller did not reply to my message. A few days later my items arrived in the same parcel but the seller charged the extra postage - despite it not costing extra to mail.

I left a positive for the larger item and a neutral for the one with postage charged. I did it same day so it won't affect her rating. In the comments I put item sent combined but no postage reduction and no comms from seller. Tbh it was the not even bothering to reply that annoyed me.

A few days later seller sent me this message:

I hope you don't mind me contacting you about your recent purchase from me of a X and Y, but I am a little confused about why you left me neutral feedback.
You said I charged you postage for both items though sent them together.
Well, yes, that's true, I sent them together, as the X was postage free to you anyway! The Y had a 95p postage charge, so in all honesty, the postal cost to me to send them was still much more than you paid.
I apologise for not replying to your message about combining postage charges, but in all honesty, this was because one was postage-free anyway!
I really hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

So was ibu to leave a neutral? It she had replied and said "sorry they have to go separately as pre-packaged" or "sorry the extra weight will make it more expensive then postage for just X" I would have left a positive. Not sure what i would have done if she'd said tough. Probably cancelled Y and bought the better quality and slightly cheaper similar item I found from another couple of sellers.

Seller has almost 2000 positive feedback ratings, a handful of neg and neutral ratings if that makes any difference. Most non-positive relate to not communicating.

CelineMcBean Wed 03-Oct-12 14:05:26

Actually I think her message is a bit of a cheek too! Maybe I'm just a mardy old cow wink

CelineMcBean Wed 03-Oct-12 14:07:14

Dammit. The SELLER sent me a message. I previewed and everything hmm

expatinscotland Wed 03-Oct-12 14:10:44

I don't think you're being unreasonable.

LemonBreeland Wed 03-Oct-12 14:11:45

I think you were perfectly reasonable to leave neutral feedback. She should have responded to your message whatever she was going to do.

fergoose Wed 03-Oct-12 14:14:07

well your seller is totally wrong - tell her that as she didn't combine postage she should have sent the 2 items in 2 separate parcels. Also, not only did she save on packaging but paypal fees.

I reckon your neutral was generous. Your positive certainly was anyway!

naturalbaby Wed 03-Oct-12 14:16:01

the seller should have responded before posting to explain. Explaining after posting didn't really help did it?!

CelineMcBean Wed 03-Oct-12 14:33:10

Thanks ladies. I think i'll ignore her message. I don't think I have enough hours in the day to explain what I thought was the obvious having left very clear feedback.

lljkk Thu 04-Oct-12 11:22:50

How did the seller save on Paypal fees? You mean 20p standing charge for a separate Paypal transaction? Is 20p a large percentage of the total cost, Celine?

FWIW, I think you were a bit harsh to leave a neutral, Celine. But it's your call.

fergoose Thu 04-Oct-12 12:28:26

If you pay for each item separately they will have paypal fees on each payment, so if they combine and get only one payment then the seller only has one paypal fee on one payment.

lljkk Thu 04-Oct-12 12:31:42

But it's only a savings of 20p per combined item, I think(?)

LemonBreeland Thu 04-Oct-12 12:49:24

I don't think any possible savings etc. are the real issue. The majot issue is the complete lack of communication from the seller. Ignoring the OP until she left her feedback.

fergoose Thu 04-Oct-12 13:08:46

yes and if they send in one parcel they only have one lot of packaging, and it can be the same price to have the 2 items in one parcel if they are lightweight.

CelineMcBean Thu 04-Oct-12 16:45:57

Oh my god. The seller has left a comment after my feedback (a nonsense comment) but has included my real name! WTAF??!

CelineMcBean Thu 04-Oct-12 16:51:59

So this woman has now ignored my message, charge me 95p for postage and packaging that she did not incur and then outed me on the fricking internet because I left her a neutral that makes bog all difference to her feedback because I also left a positive!

fergoose Thu 04-Oct-12 16:57:30

well I would report her comment to eBay and ask them to remove it.

CelineMcBean Thu 04-Oct-12 16:58:40

Just done it. Ebay were very quick. I am still horrified at her behaviour. It was a neutral, not a petrol bomb through the letterbox!

naturalbaby Fri 05-Oct-12 15:08:54

What would she have done if you left negative feedback?!

CelineMcBean Fri 05-Oct-12 15:18:06

Who knows? Turned up on my doorstep with her pitchfork?!

She is my first eBay nutter and I've been on there as a buyer for 5 years so I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. I only realised because I went to check how much each item was and there was this 2 day old comment with my real name on it.

I think she probably deserves a negative for after sales service now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now