Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

accidentally overcharged on postage - can I refund now or should I wait

(8 Posts)
tharsheblows Mon 01-Oct-12 16:58:20

I accidentally overcharged on postage - it was £3.65 rather than the £6.50 I had expected and I charged £5. Anyway, I'd like to let him know I'm going to refund but don't want to do it and then have something bad happen* and not be able to refund again if need be.

*I've never had to refund before but there's always a first time, I'm sure.

How should I do it?

fergoose Mon 01-Oct-12 17:00:31

I would refund now - it makes no real odds what happens next does it. What do you mean about something bad happen?

tharsheblows Mon 01-Oct-12 17:05:23

I just meant if I needed to refund him for whatever reason. I didn't know if I could refund twice if need be.

Thanks! smile

fergoose Mon 01-Oct-12 17:09:48

yes well you can partially refund now - it won't effect any refund you may make in the future.

Just click on the payment in Paypal, scroll down and then enter the refund amount.

tharsheblows Mon 01-Oct-12 17:28:27

Thanks! If you ever need something made far more complicated than it needs to be, just ask and I can help. wink

FannyFifer Mon 01-Oct-12 17:32:05

If you expected postage to be £6.50 why did you only charge £5.00?
Postage usually includes packaging so you don't really have to refund at all.

tharsheblows Mon 01-Oct-12 19:50:39

Oh I know, I just try to charge £3.50 if it's a £3.65 postage charge and £5 if it's a £6.50. That way I keep good postage stars (whoo! stars!) and people seem to bid a bit higher.

sarahtigh Wed 03-Oct-12 09:07:44

I have 4.9 postage stars and I charge postal costs plus 50p -£1 packing depending on soze and No. of items( i sell mostly ceramics)

if I overcharge I refund on return from PO with message

" hi X

A small refund as cost less than I thought to post kind regards ZZ"

i can see if you charged $5 and it cost 3.65 and it is not breakable it would look like overcharging so I would refund 80p

you are right people will bid higher if postal costs are reasoanble but I do not think many expect them to be less than cost

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now