Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Couple of questions

(8 Posts)
MadameCastafiore Fri 28-Sep-12 06:56:40

Sold big stack of stuff and last night received couple emails from buyers but I don't know what to do about them.

First one bought beautiful coat from me, said when turned up was in one of those Royal Mail bags saying packaging has been damaged. Coat has not been damaged, just needs dry cleaning. She has asked me to pay the cleaning bill. Is it my responsibility or should she take this up with the post office?

Second buyer bought an item, size 14, which was listed as, is again Boden item, says diesn't fit her and she wants to return them. Do I have to take them back? It does say that I don't do refunds but I am a bit wary of saying no and having PayPal find against me!

Every time I eBay I think I won't do it again as is such a faff.

fergoose Fri 28-Sep-12 08:54:30

have you seen pictures of the damage to the coat - normally sellers won't give partial refunds and would just ask for item to be returned for a refund. If you are claiming from royal mail for anything then you the seller need to, as you have the contract with them. But if packaging was inadequate then you can't claim from them.

Saying no returns is irrelevant really, best to tell them to return for a refund. And if it isn't a true size 14 state that in the listing with all measurements included.

MadameCastafiore Fri 28-Sep-12 12:41:43

I've said will refund amount she paid for jeans but not postage. That's ok isn't it.

Am awaiting pictures of coat but think it odd that she just expects me to cough up for it being cleaned! Surely she would have had it dry cleaned anyway! Packing was same as everything else so not sure it my fault that didn't hold up!

fergoose Fri 28-Sep-12 12:49:14

not really - if she opens a dispute with eBay she will get a full refund including postage.

As for the coat cleaning, did you send it clean or was it dirty. It is part of eBay's rules that you send items out clean and laundered.

MadameCastafiore Fri 28-Sep-12 12:55:04

It has been dry cleaned but somehow bag has split and coat has got dirty in post. Have never had this before and have used same bags for always.

So if I buy something and it doesn't fit I can send it back and the seller has to pay the postage?

Blimey, I'd just sell it myself not expect the seller to pay to send it to my house for me to try it on! They were a boden 14, no duplicity, surely this shouldn't end up costing me?

fergoose Fri 28-Sep-12 13:22:59

a good seller will pay return post costs if an item is not as described, but if the buyer returns at their own expense they can get a full refund of all of their original costs.

MadameCastafiore Fri 28-Sep-12 15:04:18

But they are a 14 from boden as described. I am stunned that someone would think they can return an item that was described properly and expect the seller to pay postage both ways. I would never dream of buying something on eBay and it not fitting and expect the seller to refund and pay the postage?????

fergoose Fri 28-Sep-12 18:17:58

The trouble is if the buyer opens a case with eBay they can return for a full refund - regardless of what you say, eBay will find in the buyers favour. You may as well tell them to return for a refund and relist them with the measurements, and if they are small for size it is worth mentioning that on the listing. The more info you can give about an item the better, especially when it comes to clothing and sizing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now