Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Ebay purchase (top) considerably smaller than size label.

(27 Posts)
HiccupHaddockHorrendous Wed 26-Sep-12 12:25:25

I've just received a top which I won on eBay.

It's a size 18 but is absolutely tiny! I'm not just in denial about being three sizes bigger than I think I am...sometimes 18 clothes fit fine, sometimes they're too small, sometimes they're too big but this is much, much smaller. If I were to relist it (which is probably the most likely outcome) I'd have to list it in a smaller size because I can't see it fit any size 18.

I'm wondering if it's worth contacting the seller to see if they'll let me return it or whether it's just the risk you take when you buy clothes off eBay.

I've also just received a skirt which is also an 18 and rather loose but the liningmis all ripped sad

<remembers why it's not a good idea to buy clothes off eBay>

fergoose Wed 26-Sep-12 12:54:41

I would message the sellers first and see what they say.

If the top was not a true size 18 you would have hoped they would have mentioned it. And yes you can open a case and return items for a refund - regardless of what the sellers say.

Haylebop12 Wed 26-Sep-12 13:01:44

I would have thought if the label says 18 and the adverts says 18 then it's the risk you run buying online.
I, as a seller of clothes wouldn't tend to mention things like that but some people just don't get it.

fergoose Wed 26-Sep-12 13:07:27

Well - I have sold items which have a size on the label, but if they are different I will always give measurements and say an item is say labelled a 12 but will actually only fit a size 10.

I think not mentioning what size a piece of clothing will actually fit is dishonest. And we all know labels and sizing can vary wildly between brands, as a buyer you are relying on a seller being honest and decent - and sadly those qualities seem to be vanishing on eBay nowadays.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Wed 26-Sep-12 15:10:09

Thanks, both.

If it was just a little bit too small then I'd agree with you, hayleybop12 but this is really, really, small.

My friend has just been round and tried it on. She's a size 16 and really had to squeeze it on...I might go on a quest to find a size 14 friend to try it on next grin.

If I put it back on eBay there is no way that I could describe it as an 18. I would have have to point out that it is more likely going to fit a 14/16. I wouldn't want to sell something knowing that a buyer is more than likely going to be disappointed.

I'll send them an email and see what they say...I have emailed the skirt seller who offered a full refund upon return or a partial refund. I'm happy to keep it for the price I paid but thought the damage should be pointed out so they can check their items more thoroughly in future (I didn't actually say that last bit in my email as I am very aware of how patronising it sounds and couldn't think of a better way of saying it!).

HollaAtMeBaby Wed 26-Sep-12 17:50:13

I think if you didn't ask for the actual measurements of the top (which admittedly the seller could have included) then you are being a bit unfair. Sizes do vary and the seller may not even be a size 18 herself, so she wouldn't have realised. I sell stuff for other people, so my items range from size 6 to size 14 - I don't personally try everything on before I list it!

Ask the seller if she minds you nicking her photos from the original listing, and relist it as a size 14, including the actual measurements and saying something like "label says 18 but I think it would fit a 14 as the bust is only 38 inches".

fergoose Wed 26-Sep-12 18:29:39

I totally disagree - if the seller states an item is a size 18 then it should fit that size - if it isn't an 18 fit then they should also give full measurements. Anything else in my mind is deceptive. If a seller states an item is a particular size then surely it should be that size - or am I just being stupid. Why should a buyer ask for measurements every time - to check if the seller is honest maybe?

Haylebop12 Wed 26-Sep-12 18:32:01

The seller may be selling on behalf of someone else. Therefore lusting using the size stated in the item.

fergoose Wed 26-Sep-12 18:32:38

well maybe they should take responsibility and check that sizing!

piprabbit Wed 26-Sep-12 18:34:53

Is it branded? I often check the brand's website for their sizing guide if I'm not 100% sure of the size of an item on ebay.

CaptainHetty Wed 26-Sep-12 18:36:40

If I'm selling something and I know it comes up smaller/bigger than the label I always state it. It takes all of a few seconds to write 'label states size 12 but would more realistically fit a size 10/small 12' or something to that effect.

omfgkillmenow Wed 26-Sep-12 18:39:36

Ive had the same thing, bought items listed as size 18 and it fitted my Daughter size 12! The seller said would refund but I would be charged postage so it wasn't worth returning, I re listed it said would suit size 12-14 and sold it for more than I paid.

Eglantyne Wed 26-Sep-12 18:50:14

I bought a sports top size 16 from an eBay shop, and it fits my 8 year old daughter! The p&p meant it wasn't worth returning, and she really likes it, but the sizing was an absolute joke.

BlueberryHill Thu 27-Sep-12 14:15:34

I include sizing details and brands but on childrens tops especially I include the measurements as they somehow seem smaller than they should do. I never trust buying clothes from ebay unless its a new item and I know how the brand fits me. I would seek a refund if the size is so different in this case.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Thu 27-Sep-12 21:18:28

Well, I emailed the seller and they have replied basically telling me tough luck.

Not sure whether to relist with exact measurements and maybe put it in a smaller size category or open a dispute.

Any suggestions?

fergoose Thu 27-Sep-12 21:34:43

I would open a dispute - I think your seller is wrong and falsely advertised the top.

lljkk Thu 27-Sep-12 21:39:12

Sorry, not clear to me, does it say size 18 on the label?

If not, then I think you have a case, but otherwise...

tbh, if I want to buy anything, I look for or ask for specific measurements (like distance across the chest, distance from collar to hem, or inside leg). I never never would rely on the size Number meaning much of anything. So I take it as a hazard of buying online without verifying (for instance) what a size 18 means in that brand and that style of top.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Thu 27-Sep-12 22:15:54

Yes, it says 18 on the label.

I'm now exchanging emails with the seller and they are standing firm about not refunding.

fergoose Thu 27-Sep-12 22:32:59

I would just open a dispute if I were you - the seller isn't likely to back down or change their mind now.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Thu 27-Sep-12 22:40:59

Sorry, I meant have been exchanging emails as instructed through the resolution centre. The seller has replied to both my messages and each time eBay asks if I'm happy with the response - if I am, to close the case...if not, to contact the seller again.

What do I do now?

fergoose Thu 27-Sep-12 22:50:23

leave it and when you are able you escalate the case in eBay and they will then take over and tell you what to do.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Thu 27-Sep-12 22:55:17

Ok, great, thanks.

I've just realised that this is the first dispute I have dealt with in nearly a decade of ebaying!

OhNoMyFoot Fri 28-Sep-12 05:53:03

I'm happy to keep it for the price I paid but thought the damage should be pointed out so they can check their items more thoroughly in future (I didn't actually say that last bit in my email as I am very aware of how patronising it sounds and couldn't think of a better way of saying it

Op I have said that sort of thing grin. I don't care if they think it's patronizing if they send me clothes with food on I'm gonna tell them they should wash them as the next person might not be as nice as me!

fergoose Fri 28-Sep-12 08:50:01

It is part of the eBay rules that items are freshly laundered too.

mygirllollipop Fri 28-Sep-12 12:51:56

I'm with Fergoose here.
ATM I am selling clothing on behalf of my mother, I am not the same size so I can't try them on the then guess if the sizing is correct, so I list the brand and size as people know how that brand sizes its garments, then I add the actual measurements of the clothes.
A piece of clothing may have started as a size 18 but who's to say it hasn't shrunk in the wash and the seller knows perfectly well it has.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now