Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Determined to start selling on ebay in the New Year -Tips and things I should Know

(13 Posts)
joymaker Mon 24-Sep-12 15:33:29

Hi All,

I've bought a lot of things on ebay but never sold anything. I really want to start selling stuff we don't need anymore in the new year (and will spend the rest of this year getting stuff together) but was after some pointers from those who have the experience smile. I'm after some tips and ideas on things to avoid.

Is it quite time consuming? Are there any 'best times' to sell specific items? How do you organise your items and decide on your starting prices?

Thanks

HollaAtMeBaby Mon 24-Sep-12 18:48:07

I found this MoneySavingExpert article really useful - start by reading it!

MSE: 40+ ebay selling tips

fergoose Mon 24-Sep-12 19:27:27

There is a thread here which has lots of info on it

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/ebay/1555363-Im-writing-an-idiots-guide-to-selling-on-ebay-for-my-mum

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Mon 24-Sep-12 22:15:30

I wouldn't wait until new year. The next few weeks are the best for selling as people are buying for Christmas - gifts, Christmas parties etc.

Also, I would list little and often. I have piles and piles and piles of stuff that I keep stashing away ready to put on eBay and rarely see the bottom of the pile because I leave it so long between listing sessions! I'm sure if I did a few items more regularly I'd get rid of much more than I currently do. Another reason for doing it this way means it won't be too overwhelming when your items end and you need to pack and post things. Sometimes if I have 20 or so items to post it takes me absolutely ages to get them all packed and addressed. I always pity the person behind me in the queue at the post office too blush.

PurpleFrog Tue 25-Sep-12 09:44:37

I agree with Hiccup, now is the time to start! Start small, with 3 or 4 items at a time, so that you can practise, then in the New Year you can scale things up. October and November are good for selling quality toys, party dresses and shoes, and anything BNWT which could be used as a present! Research similar items on eBay before listing. If you wait for the next Free Listing Weekend it doesn't matter too much if you set too high a starting price. You will make some mistakes at first, everyone does!

It makes a real difference listing regularly - the profits soon mount up. I can't cope with packaging dozens of items at the same time and carrying them to the Post Office, so rarely list more than about 10 things at a time.

joymaker Tue 25-Sep-12 19:56:11

Thanks very much for the links great tips and suggestions so far.

I'll try and get sorted to sell at least a couple of things now then and see how I go. Imagined the posting was the less time consuming part- I was wondering when I'm going to find the time for the listings (11 wk and 2.4 DS's)

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Tue 25-Sep-12 22:53:08

Do you have a smartphone or iPad? I use the eBay app on the iPad to list things and it's very quick and easy...far simpler than the main eBay site.

hazeldog Tue 25-Sep-12 23:00:44

What sort of things are you thinking of selling?

budgieshell Tue 25-Sep-12 23:05:43

Sell stuff by season no point trying to sell flip flops in december (great time to buy them though).

Post your items recorded delivery or get proof of postage, had a few people claiming to have not received items but if you can prove you have posted you will get your money.

Sell large items as collection only save you trying to get large items wrapped and posted.

Put in as much detail as you can.

If you have been buying on E bay thats a great start because now you will know your way around and how it works.

Good luck and I hope you make lots of lovely money or like me spend it all on E-bay again.

ShabbyChit Thu 27-Sep-12 11:51:39

All good advice above but I have to disagree somewhat with what budgieshell says above about posting items.

I would advise always sending items recorded delivery unless you can afford to refund the value of the product sent if it gets lost in the post.
Proof of postage is absolutely worthless if the item goes missing in the post.

You need proof of delivery being accepted at the buyers end not just that you posted it. The post office will pay out the value of the postage you paid in stamps back to you hmm but ebay and paypal will always favour the buyer in the case of missing items unless you can prove it was delivered.

budgieshell Thu 27-Sep-12 18:18:09

I would have agreed with you ShabbyChit till recenently. I had a customer claiming to not have received an item, the only thing I could do was show my receipt and hope for the best. I did get my money it may have been because I had good feed back and the customer didn't. I know a lot of people don't want to spend a lot of money on postage when they are trying to get a bargin.

joymaker Thu 27-Sep-12 19:19:00

Thank you all so much for taking the time to advise.

Hiccup i don't have a smartphone or iPad. I do have an iphone though (however it is temporarily out of action) I'm assuming I could use the App on that when it is fixed? Can I ask, what features are on the App that make it better?

hazeldog adult and baby clothes, toys and books, though I have yet to have a good rumage- We really need to declutter and I'm not even a minimalist grin

budgie and Shabby interesting what you both say about recorded delivery, so regardless of what the actioned item sells for -even peanuts- recorded delivery is the way to go.

what if I need/want to auction and post heavy items are there any better /cheaper companies than Royal mail that any of you have found (wonder how this works, maybe it's regional, I live in N. Ireland)

Last qestion-for now grin- Do you all post Europe/International for bigger catchment? Is it worth the bother in your experience or not worth the effort.

Thanks

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Thu 27-Sep-12 21:16:07

Yes, the app for iPhone is good. It's just a simpler layout. I find it a lot quicker and seem to spend less time faffing over the description section. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now