Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer not happy - WWYD?

(23 Posts)
LaTrucha Sat 22-Sep-12 17:41:55

I recently sold a pair of boden trousers on ebay. I described them as 12R which is what is on the label. I also gave a link to the Boden sizing page. The buyer has received them today and emailed me to say she is surprised at the length and thinks I should have mentioned it in the listing. I thought they were fine and I did describe them as the manufacturer does sizewise.

WWYD? Should I just offer a refnd to keep her happy or should I say they are as described and size charts were given for her reference?

SpottyTeacakes Sat 22-Sep-12 17:46:29

Hmm you could say if she sends them back you will give her a refund, minus postage costs. You can resell them then, I don't think you were in the wrong btw but unfortunately you don't want to risk negative feedback.

LaTrucha Sat 22-Sep-12 17:51:06

Does anyone know if there an ebay rule on this, particularly regarding refuding postage?

SpottyTeacakes Sat 22-Sep-12 17:55:09

I only know the business rules. You definitely don't have to pay for her return postage but not sure about original postage though. I would offer to refund purchase cost only, minus postage, but if she kicks up a fuss offer original postage paid as good will gesture?

LaTrucha Sat 22-Sep-12 18:12:24

Returning the postage cost would bother me as it was a cost incurred by me and I did describe the item accurately.

SpottyTeacakes Sat 22-Sep-12 18:20:28

Definitely, I would email her and say the item was as described and I linked to the Boden sizing chart. I don't usually accept returns but if you did want to send them back then I will give you a refund, minus postage costs.

See what she says to that? Although if one negative or neutral feedback doesn't worry you then I wouldn't offer the refund!

LaTrucha Sat 22-Sep-12 18:45:11

Ok. I'll try that I get unreasonably upset about negative feedback I had one about 360 days ago (so about to disappear) which I felt wasn't merited and it upset me for ages. Silly twit that I am.

LaTrucha Sat 22-Sep-12 19:54:29

Ugh. Hate this.

Does this sound ok?

Hi,

I'm sorry you are not happy with the trousers. I did link to the Boden size guide page so that buyers could check measurements with the manufacturer. They are a 12R as it says on the label. I have several pairs of Boden 12 and these were not shorter than the others

However, I do want people who buy from me to be happy. The item did state 'No returns' but if you would like to return the item I would issue a refund less postage costs upon receiving them. If you decide to post them, please get proof of postage.

Please let me know what you decide. Any refund would be issued through ebay's resolution centre for our mutual protection.

SpottyTeacakes Sat 22-Sep-12 19:59:16

Yep that sounds completely fine smile good luck I hope she doesn't turn out to be a pain in the arse!

LaTrucha Sat 22-Sep-12 20:02:18

Thanks!

LaTrucha Sun 23-Sep-12 16:58:58

She has got back to me saying she either wants full postage paid or a 'partial refund'. She paid arond £10. Should I offer 50% back, do you think? I would really lose out if I paid all the postage.

SpottyTeacakes Sun 23-Sep-12 17:11:44

Ummm I would say no! Why don't you give eBay a ring or go on their instant chat see what they say?

fergoose Sun 23-Sep-12 18:09:54

many sellers will not offer a partial refund - why if they are no good and the wrong size does she want to keep them and get half her money back, sounds like buyer remorse to me!

If I were you I would say return for a full refund or nothing, and if she opens an eBay case they will tell her to return at her own expense for a full refund or her original payment & P&P.

Tiago Sun 23-Sep-12 18:13:59

I'd say no. You're being nice to her as it is and you would lose out. If you had mis-described the item I would say to suck up the loss, but you didn't.

LaTrucha Sun 23-Sep-12 18:14:46

Yes, I'm a bit hmm about her keeping them for half the money. On the other hand, I get something rather than nothing.

Fergoose - do you think I would have to refund her the money she has already paid for posting them to her?

EagleRiderDirk Sun 23-Sep-12 18:18:06

Never offer a partial. Full refund on return or nothing. Like fergoose says, if buyer opens a case that's all eBay will let happen.

fergoose Sun 23-Sep-12 19:03:43

yes you will need to offer full refund of all of her money, but she should pay for the cost of the return.

I think the partial refund is a cheek of her, that would suggest that she thinks they are suitable which kind of shows her complaint is groundless. I would refuse a partial refund on principle to be honest. If they are no good to her getting them half price makes no difference does it - they would still be no good?

LaTrucha Sun 23-Sep-12 20:12:12

Yes she says in her latest she could wear them hmm

Have written restating fll refnd but postage back costs hers. It feels like there is not much protection for sellers on ebay.

SpottyTeacakes Sun 23-Sep-12 20:17:21

eBay have changed their rules recently. They will read all the emails sent between the two of you if she opens a case. She's just being a pita

Tiago Mon 24-Sep-12 09:43:15

She's definitely got buyers remorse. Her problem. Stick to your guns!

LaTrucha Mon 24-Sep-12 12:59:20

Well, she hasn't replied to my offer of a full refund on receipt of the trousers yet, so we'll see. Ugh I hate this!

fergoose Mon 24-Sep-12 13:12:00

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't hear from her again.

Pinot Mon 24-Sep-12 14:50:53

Oh I hate cases like this. She has 60 days to leave you waiting to see if she makes a case or gives negative feedback.

Ebay seems to hate sellers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now