Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

what a joke - how to deal with this?

(7 Posts)
goingbacktowork Fri 21-Sep-12 21:39:58

Just sold a pair of boots and now received this message "My granddaughter tried the boots on and they are way too small. She is a size 13, so I thought these would fit, as they are a size 1, but they are too small and I would like to return for a full refund please. They are lovely, but too small. Please advise how you would like them returned and where, as cant see a returns tab on your page to fill in. Ty"

this is because the item was no return. In any event can you return something if it does not fit? I have not misrepresented item. That is the risk of ebay surely. Of course I don't want neg feedback but it cost £4.50 to send then and I am not taking the hit on it!

Thanks.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 21-Sep-12 21:54:20

tell her she can return item but she has to pay return postage and you will only refund the amount of boots, not her original postage cost .. or just tell her you have a no return policy..

80sbabe Fri 21-Sep-12 21:55:39

Unfortunately for you, if the buyer opens a case in the Ebay resolution centre (which could be for item not as described or just for a return case) then you will have to accept the return and refund them.

Saying "No returns" or "No refunds" on Ebay is actually meaningless as buyers can and do return items and receive refunds. Buyers can return items for any reason at all and request their money back.

I appreciate that you feel you haven't mis-described the boots and they are the size you say, but that won't make any difference in the eyes of Ebay.

As disappointing as it may be for you the best way would be to ask the buyer to return them to you via a tracked method and to refund them when they are back, then re-list and sell them again.

It will not be worth a neg or a case going against you if you dig your heels in and refuse to communicate or refund.

Sorry - I know that's not what what you wanted to hear.

SNOWBall4girlz Fri 21-Sep-12 22:05:13

tell her to return by recorded means and when you get them back and check them for your security markings you will be happy to refund. in this case you dont have to refund their postage back just the full payment made by the customerv afik

frazzledbutcalm Fri 21-Sep-12 22:08:58

i'm not sure i agree 80
ebay does not always agree with buyer (although mostly they do!), the item was as described so I don't believe op has to accept these back..
Having said that, I have stopped selling on ebay for similar reasons. I've sold on ebay for years with no problems but in the past 6 months I've had problem after problem and have lost money left right and centre ... buyers saying they haven't received the item, item broke in transit, didn't fit, changed mind, the list is endless really.
Gumtree all the way for me now wink

perfectstorm Fri 21-Sep-12 22:51:17

Say you'll refund less the postage costs when you have them back. You may as well, because it isn't unknown for people to damage items so they can win a Paypal claim for significantly not as described. Then you're out postage, money and a saleable item. Always best to just negotiate, IMO.

PITA, though. I'm sorry.

frazzledbutcalm Sat 22-Sep-12 08:55:59

perfect.. i've had items leave my house in perfect a1 condition, wrapped and protected so securely they could not possibly be damaged. The only way they could be damaged would be if you stood at the top of your stairs and threw the package down, even then most would survive wink... but I still get damaged item cases!!
Ebay is NOT what it used to be..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now