Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

what is wrong with ebay buyers these days?

(16 Posts)
kaz1119 Wed 19-Sep-12 16:55:26

Had recently about 20 items up for sale and only actually completed on 7-8 sales.

The other stuff sold but buyers did not pay; ignored my emails. Buyers changing mind just after winning the auction. Buyers winning an auction only marked for domestic shipping and pulling out when i don't want to ship to Argentina. Another buyer wanted me to ship a double buggy after winning the auction even though it was collection only (and pulled out)., etc .

Really frustrating. I sold on ebay years ago and never had that. Was the above just bad luck or is this what ebay is like these days?

fergoose Wed 19-Sep-12 17:04:53

you will need to block foreign bidders in future, and file unpaid cases against buyers who don't pay to get your fees back.

lljkk Wed 19-Sep-12 17:18:58

I think just bad luck, Kaz, I've not had a slew of problems like that. Do check your shipping settings, though.

kaz1119 Wed 19-Sep-12 17:19:49

I know, i did file case after case but really cross with all these time wasters.

Why bid for something if you change your mind the minute you won? Why not paying and ignoring all comnunition? Why not collecting? Why insisting on shipping if it us collection only .

Really wondered if this is the new normal [hm]

TheLazyGirlBlog Wed 19-Sep-12 17:25:22

I've started advertising my bits for sale at Facebook, there are laods of free to post in Facebay or Carboot groups setting up round the country. Great thing is, people are local so picking up isn't an issue, no fees and so much less hassle!

notcitrus Wed 19-Sep-12 18:01:57

Too much stuff available to buy, and no recourse against them. It's always the clothes that are problems for me, esp children's ones - the buyers of Airfix and computer parts are never any trouble.

CaptainHetty Wed 19-Sep-12 18:08:33

Some people do just take the piss. There's so much protection for buyers and so little recourse against them when they fuck about, they seem to get a bit indifferent about it. We can't even leave them negative feedback ffs hmm

sarahtigh Thu 20-Sep-12 14:15:31

sad to say buyers of childrens clothes in particular are real hassle I have an ebay business selling vintage collectables mostly china, only about 25% of the problems that clothes baby stuff cause

it is very very strange that 100 year old porcelain is more likely to reach australia intact than a boden skirt for a 2 year old to get from glasgow to london, which seems likely to mysteriously shrink/ grow change labels acquire stains in postal services!!!! I know it was Ok but hmm

however in a few months buyers will not just be able to open case with out attempting to sort it for 8 days and will be able to report dodgy buyers

lljkk Thu 20-Sep-12 14:40:45

What's this about changes in a few months? Link, please?

TheLazyGirlBlog Thu 20-Sep-12 17:45:51

How's this for biggest twat buyer ever (And even worse, EBay agreed with her!)
Sold a 100% Cashmere dress, it was brand new, I didn't like it as I don't do short LBDs.

Anyway, the dress was worth £120(!) so put it on EBay, it sold for £15, plus £4.75 P+P. It cost me £2 extra to send as sent recorded, but thought, oh well,less hassle from buyer who could say "Never received it" if sent normal unsigned for way (had this happen with a pair of baby monitors and promptly lost £50, even though her attitude was "they weren't sent recorded, you can't prove I got them")

So, dress gets there, didn't hear naff all, right up until last few days before you can start a case. At which point buyer says "Its not cashmere". Utter bollocks.

She starts a case, so I said, OK send it back and I'll refund.

When it arrived back, bag it was sent in, just a thin Tesco bag was ripped to bits, dress stank to high heaven and had obviously been worn- the tag was attached by a ribbon and had been hastily retied.

I told her "you're having a bloody laugh, you've worn it, stuck it in a Tesco bag then expect your money back". She denied having worn it, and despite me taking pictures and offering to send these to EBay they refunded her the dress price and BOTH postage and Packaging charges, for a Tesco bag!

Bloody joke.

I also had the buggy buyer who left negative feedback after 5 days of haranguing me over items I said in the listing were not with the buggy. Couldn't have been more polite to her as well. Apparently though she had left 29 negs in 2 months so a tryer obviously. She had tried to pay by Paypal but I sent it back and insisted on cash on collection, elsewise I bet she'd have done a case and I'd have had no buggy and no money either.

TobyLerone Thu 20-Sep-12 17:51:42

DP has just sold a computer-related item to a buyer overseas who has now decided that it was a different model to the one in the listing (it wasn't), and that it isn't as described (it absolutely is). EBay have already deducted the money for the refund (inc postage) from DP's paypal account.

He's rejected the refund claim, obviously. But buyer has escalated to the next level. DP has responded to paypal saying that the item is exactly as was described, but that if the buyer returns it in perfect condition, he's happy to refund the item cost (ex postage). But I think eBay/paypal will just come down on the side of the buyer and refund him in full anyway.

EBay are awful to their sellers now. I couldn't believe you can't even leave negative/neutral feedback as a seller now!

Japple Fri 21-Sep-12 16:53:13

Now we are Worried.Didn't Know all of These Problems Existed with eBay.He
decided to List a Credit Card Terminal with them 2 days ago.Sorry we did.We
Have the PayPal Thingy,but Don't Know How to Use it.Hubby doesn't KNOW
how a person "Collects"his Fee with the PayPal.Oh,Nuts...

LineRunner Fri 21-Sep-12 18:16:04

Japple you know you can go on the Community Boards on eBay?

Japple Fri 21-Sep-12 18:43:29

OH! We'll have to putter around and find their "Com-Board".I'm still trying to
find my way around "What happens" when I hit the eBay iPad App Button.So
Many little "icons"... I almost didn't find my sale item.It said I could "watch"
our item...but,we couldn't find the "watch"button...so Now a sign says..."You
are not Watching anything"...I think I'll have that Bourbon & Coke now,before
I go "Tap" that eBay Button again...

fergoose Fri 21-Sep-12 18:55:58

you don't need to watch your own items, they will be in the list of items you are selling.

Japple Fri 21-Sep-12 19:39:39

Oh! We know where the List is.We don't know "What" the lists are about,but
We will push them All and find out. The Last time we hit a wrong button on a
Site, we wound up at the FBI Station in the Falklands...Thanks,Goose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now