Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is this out of order?

(19 Posts)
StranglyGiraffe Fri 21-Oct-11 23:13:21

I'm not that experienced with eBay.

I've been after an item for months, and i've finally found one locally. The starting bid is 0.99 (it's worth a LOT more) , there's only been one bid so far, and it's got nearly 3 days left.

Can i message the seller offering a decent price? Or is that really cheeky!? confused

savoycabbage Fri 21-Oct-11 23:21:30

A lot of people bid at the end, some in the last few seconds. As there is already a bid on the item they are not allowed to remove it and sell it to you. They would have to say it was broken or lost or similar to remove it from sale.

They might be allowed to add but it now as an option I can't remember now. I just ignore people who ask me to end auctions as it is a hassle and a risk. They might not buy it and then you have to relist. You should offer them an actual price if you are going to do it though. You never know.

blueshoes Fri 21-Oct-11 23:25:28

You can offer (it is not cheeky) but the seller may not accept. I have never ended an auction early with a Buy It Now.

As a seller, I can tell how many people are watching it. If it is a high number, I know that even though the bids are still low, there will be a frenzy at the end. I only get offers on items that are popular and I have refused and invariably got sold at auction for more than I was offered.

PotPourri Fri 21-Oct-11 23:30:31

I usually won't accept an offer. However the local thing might help. I once sold a buggy locally like that - saved on fees etc. And I have also bought things by buying off eBay.

Answer to your question - why not? Just go for it

ChunkyMonkeyMother Fri 21-Oct-11 23:35:26

Thing is - that's the point of ebay! People put stuff up for free listing under £1 and that's how much it goes for!

My cousin put up a 7 seater corner sofa (incorrectly listed) for 99p and got less than £5 for it! She was gutted to say the least but she learnt from it! I know of a few people that have had stealth bargains - one friend got a pair of uggs for £6 with local pickup, thought they'd be knock off and they were 100% genuine ha ha I got a £120 baby playpen for £30 - bargain! If it stays at 99p snap it up!

Good luck!

StranglyGiraffe Sun 23-Oct-11 12:03:54

Thanks everyone! It's a Pushchair, and still going for 99p, so i'm going to try & be patient!!

Fingers Crossed smile

fergoose Sun 23-Oct-11 12:11:24

It is worth asking for a buy it now price - the seller only has to say no.

Mind you, if it is local to you, and collection only, you may be very lucky and get a bargain by winning the auction. Depends on your location really as to how many other bidders there may be, and also the timing of their auction.

Solo Sun 23-Oct-11 12:14:24

Can you actually add a BIN if there is already a bidder? I didn't think so.

RandomMess Sun 23-Oct-11 12:16:16

No once there are bids on the seller can't add a BIN, don't get carried away in the last 10 seconds though!

TethHearseEnd Sun 23-Oct-11 12:17:24

I think (not 100%) that doing this is against ebay rules, and the seller may take exception and block or report you.

Instead, I suggest that you try a sniper site such as goofbay and put your maximum bid in there (plus another tenner) and programme it to bid on your behalf in the last four or five seconds. Put in an odd amount, such as £48 rather than £45.

Whatever you do, don't bid on it now. That would declare to other bidders how much you're prepare to pay, and they will outbid you.

fergoose Sun 23-Oct-11 12:24:21

It's not against eBay rules to ask for a buy it now price - but it is against the rules to ask for an off eBay sale.

A seller can cancel bids and change and auction to a buy it now if they want, eBay still get their fees and buyer still has eBay protection.

TethHearseEnd Sun 23-Oct-11 12:28:47

I used to do it a lot, and got blocked by a couple of sellers for asking if they would add a BIN. Some sellers take exception.

fergoose Sun 23-Oct-11 12:31:10

Yes, some do, but it isn't against the rules. I think a seller blocking a potential buyer is just plain daft to be honest!

Some are glad of the interest and pleased to make a sale. smile

LoveBeingAWitch Mon 24-Oct-11 07:25:30

If they will not post it's defo worth waiting.

MonkeyJuice Mon 24-Oct-11 07:41:17

It is actually against the rules to offer a BIN price if the item has been listed without a BIN button.

fergoose Mon 24-Oct-11 10:28:03

Monkey is that a new rule then? Where does it state that?

MonkeyJuice Mon 24-Oct-11 11:29:47

It's not a new rule. You are not supposed to make an offer if there is no "make an offer" button present. There is no possibility of a make an offer button being present unless there is already a BIN set.
By requesting a bin you are making an offer on an auction only item.
If the seller had a bin in mind surely they'd have set this at time of listing. As others have said, a bin can not be added after bids on an auction have started. Unless the seller ends the listing early and relists with bin or completes a transaction outside of ebay.

fergoose Mon 24-Oct-11 11:36:38

But a seller can end an auction at any time either for the highest bidder or they can cancel bids to change to a buy it now. There are no rules that state they can't do this are there?

There are some sellers who don't want to end an item early and would prefer to let an auction run, but that is their choice. They are just not allowed to end an auction for an off ebay sale.

StranglyGiraffe Mon 24-Oct-11 23:17:16

I held on, put my bid in during the last 5 minutes, and won it for £53, very happy!

I feel educated a bit more in eBay now thanks to this thread grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now