Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Can't believe the barefaced cheek of some eBay sellers.....

(8 Posts)
Tryharder Tue 11-Oct-11 22:47:12

I buy a lot of good quality high street clothing for my DCs on eBay - Joules, Mini Boden etc. I bought a pair of Joules jeans that arrived the other day which were described as "great condition, only worn once". They have clearly been worn about 150 times, massive grass stains on the knees... What on earth was the seller thinking???

Another bundle arrived this morning which was described as a Boden/Gap bundle, items in good, used condition. The items without exception are fit for the bin and I'm not that fussy generally. The knees in the trousers are worn through, holes in the T shirts, massive stains that clearly won't come out.... The clothes are dirty, unwashed and unironed. What the actual fuck?

What would you do? I don't want the hassle and cost of returning the items. It would cost me at least £10 to return the bundle by recorded delivery - why should I pay that to get £20 back?

I just can't believe the cheek of these people. Have they no standards at all? I would never dream of selling something in that condition.

dizzyday07 Tue 11-Oct-11 22:52:58

It must be the day for it!

I bought DD a pair of sequin pumps and like you described as worn once. The once they were worn must have been on a 20 mile hike through Snowdonia.

They rubbers around them are so worn that in places the texture on them is missing, both heels are worn down and the rubbers are dirty too.

I'm waiting to see what response I get. They only cost £3 with postage but it's the principal!

rednose Tue 11-Oct-11 22:57:23

You are understandable fuming. I have had this problem too with kids clothing which was v faded & washed out- I didn't complain as it was pennies but I wish I had as they now have probably continued sell this jumble( maybe to you)I would contact seller & just be as blunt as you gave been here let them know in no uncertain terms that items are not as described & u want a full refund & if they want items back they can pay p&p- taking the piSs they are

fergoose Wed 12-Oct-11 08:41:00

you should always complain and leave appropriate feedback

if sellers are uncooperative you should always open a case as it counts against them

if you open a case with eBay and not with Paypal, when it asks you what resolution you want, click 'other' and write in the box alongside 'other'

Then escalate in 10 days and eBay will refund you without you having the expense of returning items to the seller.

nickschick Wed 12-Oct-11 08:46:22

It is dreadful that some ebay sellers use tactics like this.

I often sell the labels of the clothes you describe but I record their condition v accurately and still have 100% feedback and have never had a complaint regarding my descriptions or anything else.

I love a good jumble (dont find much suitable to sell but for my own taste in dress they are fab) and some of the absolute crap people buy at the jumbles intending to ebay it makes me v shock.

Definitely complain.

PontyMython Wed 12-Oct-11 08:55:58

How horrible. I've only recently started selling on eBay but I make sure I'm really honest and specific about damage etc.

While I'm here can I just ask something? One of the first few things I ordered, in the spring, hasn't turned up! I've messaged the seller and she apologised and said she would investigate with royal mail etc, but I've heard NOTHING. I've now emailed again to ask for a cancellation/refund (DH had this when an item he'd bought didn't arrive) but no reply. I gather it's too late to open a dispute - I have a really bad feeling they've left it too late on purpose, so where do I go from here? It was only a fiver but that's a lot to us right now.

fergoose Wed 12-Oct-11 09:02:09

In the spring!? You only have 45 days to claim for a missing item - did you not contact the seller before?

PontyMython Wed 12-Oct-11 15:21:02

Yes that's what I mean fergoose, I did do it fairly soon but never heard back, so it makes me think they were deliberately delaying it. At that point I didn't know you had to do it within 45 days, because I was a newbie and I (stupidly) trusted the person to sort it out sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now