Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Oh bother! Help me write this nicely, please?

(8 Posts)
lljkk Sun 09-Oct-11 16:23:29

Had a buyer try to open a dispute, so am trying to calm her down.

Here is the message I might send her, I know it's too long. Can you advise how best to re-write it?

Hi P***,
I don't know if you received my other message so will just explain now.
On Wednesday you won the auction. On Thursday I posted the books using Royal Mail parcels; I had thought I'd be able to send it second class but the two books were just a little bit too large and heavy.
I think that it was on Friday you contacted me about fast delivery but that was obviously a bit late, and I would have needed to rearrange extra payment for the faster delivery (not included in postage for the auction).
I assure you that I've done everything I can to make sure that the items are on their way; Royal Mail parcels can be slow just like second class so hopefully it will arrive to you on Monday or Tuesday (tomorrow or the day after).
I hope that that satisfies your concerns for now and that the books arrive very soon.
I will fully refund you if they don't get to you, but I would really like to give Royal Mail a few more days to achieve the delivery.
Best wishes -- lljkk

---------------------

I only promise to post items within 3 working days of an auction being won, so it's not like I've violated the spirit of terms of contract by using Parcels rather than 2nd class, given I posted the item next day.

lljkk Sun 09-Oct-11 16:28:06

Gawd, I'm increasingly convinced she's impatient so bought the books elsewhere and is going to demand a refund accordingly (I state that I don't refund). angry

Trills Sun 09-Oct-11 16:34:13

Here's my take on it.

Hi P,
I don't know if you received my other message so will just explain now.
On Wednesday you won the auction and paid for the books - thank you for your quick payment.
Start by being nice
On Thursday I posted the books using Royal Mail parcels; I had thought I'd be able to send it second class but Royal Mail only accepts second class items up to X weight and the two books were too heavy.
Not being able to use 2nd class is down to Royal Mail, not you
On Friday you contacted me about fast delivery, but as the books were already on their way there was nothing I could do.
Don't say "I think" - you should have a time on the email they sent so you know, not think. No need to mention extra payment, the only relevant point is that they were already gone.
Royal Mail parcels say that they should deliver on the third working day after posting, which for a parcel sent on Thursday means Monday, but this is not guaranteed.
I looked it up here.
I hope that that satisfies your concerns for now and that the books arrive very soon.
I will of course fully refund you if they don't get to you, but as yet the books are not delayed
Best wishes -- lljkk

Maybe somewhere get in something about the fact that you posted it on Thursday precisely because you were trying to get the items to the customer quickly, but I cna't think of a way to say it without sounding a bit snarky.

SayGhoulNowSayWitch Sun 09-Oct-11 16:34:24

Hang on - she won an auction, you sent her the goods the DAY AFTER (which is bloody good ime) and she's complaining it's not fast enough? shock

I think your message is fine and far too polite grin

If she had wanted faster delivery she should have stated it at the time of purchase.

SayGhoulNowSayWitch Sun 09-Oct-11 16:34:58

Oops, X-post Trills

Trills Sun 09-Oct-11 16:36:27

I agree with GhoulWitch btw - she is being ridiculous, I have rewritten to be less apologetic and more "this is what is happening so deal with it"

ASuitableGirl Sun 09-Oct-11 16:38:51

If I ever want a faster than offered delivery, or if I want to get an idea of when the seller is likely to be able to send out the goods, I always contact before making my bid. If she won the auction on Wednesday and paid then, but didn't ask about faster delivery until Friday then she is a bit daft IMO.

lljkk Sun 09-Oct-11 17:22:51

Oh I know she's being bloody cheeky! It even says on my listing (Ebay automatically generated text) "Delivery: Estimated within 6-8 working days" But I have to be polite because she can neg & I can't sad. And maybe... just maybe she didn't get my previous msg where I said "sorry I can't send it urgently today as I already sent it yesterday on the backs of 2 snails towing a hedgehog."

Ah, I had thought that I had misplaced her message that says "Can you send the item urgently?" so I was being vague about when, but now I found it and she even sent it Friday at 2:12pm, so almost 48 hours after auction finished! And Ebay confirms that I replied on same day.

Thanks for feedback.
I have rewritten my msg. keeping in mind suggestions.
From f/back she has left for others, she does seem kind of... fussy about items, and fast delivery is important. Too bad she can't read...

Oh, and to boot, I spent 2 quid more on postage than I budgeted for so but obv. haven't billed her; the total price with postage was for under a tenner, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now