Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Selling a high price item and clawback?

(13 Posts)
KatharineClifton Fri 07-Oct-11 20:01:16

I've been very lucky and won an iPhone 4 which I would dearly love to keep, but selling it would pay for Christmas.

On ebay they go for between 3 and 4 hundred quid smile How can I keep myself safe from clawback? Is there any way?

fergoose Fri 07-Oct-11 20:15:51

Chargeback - send special delivery to registered paypal address only. Sell to UK buyers only.

KatharineClifton Fri 07-Oct-11 20:17:39

Thank you. I will do that.

BertieBotts Fri 07-Oct-11 20:19:14

I don't have any advice to add, but get yourself a nice Android phone for Christmas - the Samsung ones are excellent. A fraction of the price of the iPhones but better (IMO grin)

fergoose Fri 07-Oct-11 20:19:34

There is loads of info on the community boards, like here;

community.ebay.co.uk/topic/New-Selling/Selling-Mobiles-Ebay/1700027095

KatharineClifton Fri 07-Oct-11 20:26:16

Cheers BertieBotts! Will have a look at the community boards now.

sarahtigh Sat 08-Oct-11 19:54:22

also security mark it with postcode so you will know if it is returned it is yours that has been returned test it to make sure works, include manual and charger if you can find it and remeber to delete personal stuff off phone memory not just SIM and special delivery UK only use advanced selling form to block those with 2 unpaid strikes in 12 months not in countries i don't sell to not to buyers with no card recorded with paypal etc

only send to name and address on paypal and in description say something like if your feedback score is less than 10 please contact me before bidding otherwise your bid will be removed, not seen this on a phone but seen frequently on cars etc

KatharineClifton Sun 09-Oct-11 00:04:42

Thanks sarahtigh. Stupidly I've listed it as sealed in box so can't test the bugger. I will take a note and photo of the IMEI as it's on the outside of the box. Will do Special Delivery.

One just sold for £450 shock - also a prize win. Not holding my breath for that much though (although it would be vvvvvv lovely!).

Selks Sun 09-Oct-11 00:06:26

what's 'clawback'?

KatharineClifton Sun 09-Oct-11 00:11:08

When the buyer contacts their credit card company or bank and says it was an unauthorised transaction. They then claim straightaway off PayPal and PayPal take it straight out of your account. Sometimes it works out and you get the money back, a lot of times not.

Selks Sun 09-Oct-11 00:17:29

Right, thanks. Gosh, that sounds awful for a seller.

PigletJohn Sun 09-Oct-11 00:27:28

if you want, you can advertise it as Buyer Collects, Cash Only.

It means only a local person is likely to buy it, though.

KatharineClifton Sun 09-Oct-11 00:46:54

Too rural around here for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now