Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

I contacted buyer re discount for damaged item, buyer hasn't replied or paid, what's next?

(6 Posts)
oopslateagain Wed 28-Sep-11 15:39:54

I sold some boots on Ebay on Sunday 25th, but while packing them I noticed they had picked up some marks while being stored - nothing really major but I sold the boots in 'excellent condition' and they aren't.

I thought I should offer the buyer a discount, contacted Ebay to see how to do it, they said that the buyer needed to pay and then I could refund an agreed amount.

I e-mailed the buyer on the 26th to explain the situation - I said that I was perfectly happy to sell the boots at a discount, or if she preferred we could cancel the auction and I would re-list the boots. I still haven't received a reply, and the buyer hasn't paid.

I am going to e-mail the buyer again, but I am wondering what the next step will be should she not reply? How long should I leave it?

fergoose Wed 28-Sep-11 16:07:59

I would do a mutual cancellation to be honest - if she didn't reply to the first email she prob won't reply to the second.

oopslateagain Wed 28-Sep-11 16:16:28

fergoose you seem to be the MN ebay expert, you're on every thread! grin

Thanks, I have sent a second email so will give her till tomorrow to respond, that will be 4 days from the auction end, I think that is fair.

Bugger. There was a bidding war going on too, they went for £27. sad

fergoose Wed 28-Sep-11 17:08:21

ok - well you could offer to the underbidder then - but cancel it with the first buyer first or you could end up with 2 buyers for 1 item.

oopslateagain Fri 30-Sep-11 09:25:20

Thanks for the advice fergoose, I have now cancelled the transaction and am waiting for the buyers response. I'm hoping that once that is closed the second bidder will still be interested but the cancellation can take up to 7 days so I might have to just re-list them.

littlepiglet Fri 30-Sep-11 12:45:39

I would add an element of caution in sending a mutual cancellation request - especially in a case like this, where the buyer hasn't responded - and that is the buyer could, quite feasibly, refuse, then you would be left with paying your FVFs, and the buyer can still leave negative feedback.

I hope in this case the buyer does agree

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now