Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Why do people list baby clothes in the wrong size category?

(13 Posts)
breatheslowly Tue 27-Sep-11 22:23:57

This seems to happen a lot more often than I would expect if it is just an error. Is it strategic or just an error?

dizzyday07 Tue 27-Sep-11 22:28:07

It happens with girls clothes too - especially Next. Items sized at say 7yrs being listed in 7-8yrs when they are actually 6-7yrs. Does my head in!

kellestar Thu 29-Sep-11 19:45:27

I've noticed this a lot on the 3-6, 6-9 and 9-12 month age groups. if the label says 6 months list it in 6-9 not 3-6 months. I browse from an ipod touch so get grouchy when I click into the listing, then the details, then the further details to find out it's in the wrong section or been listed with the wrong size. Have queried if it's a particularly appealing item and they've confirmed then details not the listing title.

kellestar Thu 29-Sep-11 19:46:04

sorry, was going to add on the end. It's one way to get your listing seen. But not neccessarily sold to the right buyer.

breatheslowly Thu 29-Sep-11 19:54:11

Do they list in two categories then? Because they are missing out on a lot of potential buyers if they don't.

kellestar Thu 29-Sep-11 20:07:28

I do wonder, but you've got to pay extra to list in more than one category, so often think it's an error they've made.

I also wondered if it was a top that came up smaller than labelled and when it's tagged 6 months would fit a 3-6 month child.

Mandy2003 Sun 02-Oct-11 20:11:10

And Clarks shoes! Ebay have thoughtfully put two size categories: Size 4 and Junior Size 4 - but toddler first shoes end up in both categories and you can't always tell from the photo which size they are. Grr!

notcitrus Sun 02-Oct-11 20:36:48

If a label says unhelpfully '6 months', that's not an option so you have to guess 3-6 months or 6-9 months depending on the size of the thing and whether your child is remotely average. I certainly never pay to list in two categories given baby clothes tend to only make 99p to start with (or a bit more on a free listing day but you still have to pay for other categories)

I swear baby clothes sizing is even more of a black art than women's sizing - ds is just 3, around the 10% centile for both height and weight, and has 3-4 clothes that are too small and still wears loads of size 18-24 months clothes! He actually still fits into several 12-18 months items but I've just packed them away on general principle.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 02-Oct-11 20:42:13

Well, if an item is labelled as 6mo then it may vary hugely. I always try to list in the actual size of the item, rather than the label on it (H&M for example are always very long for the sizing and might say 2-4 years, but would most likely fit a 3-4 year old. I've had plenty of stuff that says 6 months and some is 3-6 sizes, some is 6-9mo. IMO sellers should list the actual size (in CM) of an item (esp things like sleepsuits, babygrows and dungarees) rather than just listing the label size.

plupervert Mon 10-Oct-11 00:09:08

I agree with Jareth. I've had some French stuff to sell, and it's tiny, so I subtract 3 months, and explain in the listing what I've done, often with actual measurements of the clothes. I love measurements myself; they reassure me no end, that the seller is on the up and up! grin

Meglet Mon 10-Oct-11 20:03:13

Shrinkage?

I'm about to list some Age 3 t-shirts from Gap, which for a start don't come up that big but as they've been washed loads of times they are possibly more an Age 2. I've mentioned it on my listing too, I don't want someone buying them for a large 3yo and being pissed off if they're too small. If they're listed for a size smaller at least a child can grow into them.

BikeRunSki Mon 10-Oct-11 20:11:40

I sometimes do, as baby clothes sizes vary so much between manufacturers. I always say what the label size and manufacturer is, but a a Next 3-6 is much more like a Gap or Verbaudet 6-12,

sarahtigh Tue 11-Oct-11 14:47:03

childrens sizing is rubbish anyway DD is 22months and about 25th centile for height and just over 23th for weight

she has size 4 feet, trousers mostly 9-12 months sleepsuits 12-18 but a bit long in leg winter coat 12-18 months has tops in every size that fit from 6-9 mnths to 18-24 months, at beginning of summer when definitely small for age ( about 16 months) one 12-18 month dress really short said to 86cm DD at time was 77cm and it was above knee

some companines just say 6 months so does it mean when they are 6 months it will fit or does it mean once 6 months it will be too small.. so the seller may not be able to put in right category, also monsoon dresses are 6-12 months that is not a category on ebay so what do you do?

it is annoying but sometimes seller can't help it, othertimes ofcourse they are just being silly and can't read! as someone else said tesco etc a bit small mothercare quite big; measurements do help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now