Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

is this odd or would you agree to this?

(16 Posts)
heavenstobetsy Tue 27-Sep-11 12:33:16

I am selling a large buggy, so potentially an expensive item and I have had a request from a potential buyer to come and have a look at it tonight.

I can kind of understand wanting to check something out before you buy but he hasn't even bid yet - plus he's not that local. Ebay says he is in the next county which means 1/2 hour to an hours drive away. So why come all that way for something you might not even win?

My immediate thought is that once here, he will pressure me to sell outside of ebay ....... or maybe I am being overly paranoid.

What do you think?

nethunsreject Tue 27-Sep-11 12:35:25

I think it's reasonable to want to see it before buying. However, I owuld want another person with me and would be clear if the topic arose, that sale was via ebay.

fergoose Tue 27-Sep-11 12:37:48

i think it is reasonable - they could work locally to you couldn't they

Just use common sense and don't be on your own with them. And how would they force you to sell outside of eBay - they can't force you.

If you are not happy block them and say no.

mamalovebird Tue 27-Sep-11 12:38:02

Depends how much you're selling it for. If it's on for a few hundred quid then it's reasonable to want to see it, but make it clear that the sale goes ahead through ebay and definitely have someone there when they come round. I've sold high value items on ebay and had people view them before bidding. If he wants to travel that far, that's his lookout.

heavenstobetsy Tue 27-Sep-11 12:42:13

Thanks ladies - I've sold high value stuff before but never been asked to view. I will make it clear in my response that the sale must be through ebay

fergoose - obviously he can't force me, but he can try to pressure me in to it and frankly I can do without the agro of pushy conversation!

belledechocchipcookie Tue 27-Sep-11 12:44:09

I'd say no. If he's the winning bidder he could collect, this way he could check it over before he takes it. If there's any problem then he could leave it and not pay.

heavenstobetsy Tue 27-Sep-11 12:46:58

see, that was my thoughts Belle but didn't know if I was being unreasonable

belledechocchipcookie Tue 27-Sep-11 12:48:08

No, you're not being unreasonable. It's a complete waste of your (and his) time.

fergoose Tue 27-Sep-11 13:32:51

just make sure buyer pays cash only if they collect - never take paypal for collection item

i think it is fair to have a viewing of an expensive item before purchase - the only problem with completing an off eBay sale is buyer has no protection, but you save on final fees if you do decide to end the auction early and sell to the buyer now.

betabaker Tue 27-Sep-11 13:33:35

From what I've read on EBay, be wary if a buyer wants to collect and pay by paypal - they can cancel it apparently.
But, if he offers cash on the spot I would say yes - you may not get any other offers as they'd have to collect and so have to be near enough.
You'd then have to cancel the listing which is easy enough.
If you've had offers you can't do that obviously.

Salam Tue 27-Sep-11 13:50:02

I'm with betabaker. If he offered you a good price for it there and then I'd say yes. You save the ebay fees and all you have to do is stop the listing. I have done it before when I sold my nursing chair and the lady offered me the price I had in mind, so it was a win-win situation.

fergoose Tue 27-Sep-11 14:12:11

You can cancel a listing if there are bids - just cancel the bids first

Just be warned if reported to eBay for selling off eBay as it is not permitted as they lose out on their final fees.

caughtinanet Tue 27-Sep-11 14:21:57

This is a grey arear.

I don't think its unreasonable of someone to ask to view an item before bidding. My DH does this all the time with high value items and will happily travel up to an hour to view something to avoid making an expensive mistake.

However its entirely up to you whether you agree to it. I know that my DH has only ever been refused once by a seller who was quite chippy about it - if you're not happy just reply and say "sorry, no viewings" but you might lose a sale.

Just because someone wants to have a look doesn't mean they're out to con you, my DH will still bid through ebay as normal unless the seller offers to cancel the listing for a quick sale.

heavenstobetsy Tue 27-Sep-11 20:26:16

Well, the guy came and was totally lovely - he wasn't pushy or an axe murderer grin

Thanks for all your advice, it was much appreciated

fergoose Tue 27-Sep-11 20:55:03

Excellent - did he buy it then?

caughtinanet Tue 27-Sep-11 21:17:41

Oh good news, glad it worked out well and yes, did he buy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now